A brief but ferocious gunbattle between Hamas and Fatah militants broke out in Gaza City early yesterday, underscoring the fragility of a two-day-old truce between the rival factions. A Hamas militiaman injured in violence that touched off the shootout died of his wounds.
Separately, about a dozen Hamas and Fatah gunmen clashed at a Hamas rally in the West Bank town of Nablus later yesterday. There were no immediate reports of injuries.
The street battle in Gaza City, which encompassed the house of Foreign Minister Mahmoud Zahar of Hamas and the Gaza residence of President Mahmoud Abbas of Fatah, died down after about 20 minutes as Muslim clerics and other mediators worked to restore the ceasefire. Abbas was not in Gaza at the time.
Despite the scale and intensity of the fighting, no one was wounded, health officials said.
The violence erupted out as Hamas militia tried to free two fighters, including a senior member of the Islamic group, who were captured late on Thursday.
In the tense atmosphere pervading Gaza, the firefight between Hamas and Fatah-affiliated militants who Hamas said were behind the abductions quickly spread out of control. Within minutes, it engulfed the presidential guard outside Abbas' house, other security officers in the area and the Hamas militiamen guarding Zahar's home and the nearby Foreign Ministry building.
Gunmen manning strategic positions on rooftops began shooting at others in the streets.
The presidential guard took up defensive positions behind newly built walls of sandbags and barriers of cement blocks outside Abbas' residence.
Hamas officials said the Fatah gunmen shot at Zahar's home.
One witness estimated that more than 2,000 bullets were fired in the first 10 minutes and several rocket-propelled grenades were also launched.
Residents of the neighborhood, the scene of other gunbattles over the past week, put their children in bathtubs for protection against stray bullets, residents said.
A Hamas militiaman injured in the course of the kidnapping, Ayman Jirjawi, died of his wounds early yesterday, said Islam Shahwan, a militia spokesman.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against