The Prince of Wales on Thursday won a resounding legal victory concerning his privacy as the court of appeal in London ruled that the Mail on Sunday newspaper had infringed his copyright and confidentiality by publishing extracts from his private diaries.
Prince Charles took action after the newspaper published parts of his 1997 diary about the handover of Hong Kong. In his account, "The Great Chinese Takeaway," he referred to the Chinese hierarchy as "appalling old waxworks."
The Lord Chief Justice, Lord Phillips, sitting with Lord Justice May, said that the information published was private and public disclosure was an interference with the prince's private and family life guaranteed under the Human Rights Act.
Dismissing the paper's appeal, he said: "Prince Charles is an important public figure. In respect of such persons the public takes an interest in information about them that is relatively trivial. For this reason, public disclosure of such information can be particularly intrusive."
A lawyer, Dan Tench, said this was one of a spate of privacy decisions from the courts all so far favouring the claimant.
"It appears these decisions represent a tectonic shift, the moment when the English courts are truly recognizing a legal right to privacy," he said.
The court had heard that the journal was one of eight given to the newspaper by Sarah Goodall, a secretary in the Prince's private office from 1988 to 2000. She published a memoir, The Palace Diaries, revealing some of the prince's eccentric habits.
The journals were handwritten accounts that Charles made following foreign visits over the past 30 years and which he circulated "in confidence" to between 50 and 75 people.
Phillips said Goodall had signed a contract that "placed her under a duty to keep the contents of the journal confidential," and that there was "an important public interest in employees in the position of Ms Goodall respecting the obligations of confidence that they have assumed."
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against