Serbian ultranationalist Vojislav Seselj went on trial yesterday at the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal for allegedly taking part in a wide-ranging criminal plot to drive non-Serbs out of large parts of Bosnia and Croatia using a regime of terror that included murder, torture and rape.
Seselj, a 52-year-old former political science lecturer in Sarajevo, is one of the most senior political figures in tribunal custody and his trial marks another attempt by the UN court to prosecute those it considers most responsible for the brutal wars that tore Yugoslavia apart.
He is charged with recruiting notorious Serb paramilitary forces, fanning ethnic tensions with hate-laced nationalistic speeches and planning the takeover of towns in Croatia and Bosnia as part of a criminal plot -- involving other political and military leaders including former Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic -- to drive non-Serbs out of regions he considered part of a Greater Serbia.
Among atrocities committed by forces taking part in the alleged criminal plot were "the extermination or murder of many Croat, Muslim and other non-Serb civilians including women, children and the elderly," Seselj's indictment said.
With most-wanted suspects former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic and his military chief General Ratko Mladic still on the run and the Security Council pressing the tribunal to complete all trials by the end of 2008, it could be one of the last.
Seselj is a close associate of Milosevic, who died in tribunal custody in March before his four-year genocide trial could be completed, and leader of the Radical Party, which has the most lawmakers in Serbia's parliament.
In Belgrade, Radical Party official Aleksandar Vucic said on Saturday that if the trial went ahead yesterday without Seselj, Seselj would file another demand to the tribunal to have all the hearings so far annulled.
Seselj claimed at a pretrial hearing last week that his voice was too weak for him to appear in court and it was not clear if he planned to attend court yesterday.
Seselj intends to continue the hunger strike he began 15 days ago, even if he is forced to take an intravenous drip, Vucic said.
Milosevic's aborted trial led to a storm of criticism that the court's cases take too long. As a result, judges ordered Seselj's original 14-count indictment trimmed to nine counts and have also warned Seselj against disrupting his case as he conducts his own defense.
Seselj surrendered voluntarily in Feb. 2003 declaring his innocence and vowing to turn the proceedings against him into a circus.
If convicted, Seselj will face a maximum possible sentence of life imprisonment.
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference