Workers recovered more human remains from several manholes as the city began a new search for Sept. 11 victims.
The search was prompted by the surprise discovery of dozens of bones in an abandoned manhole last week.
Utility and city officials on Saturday hand-removed material from other manholes after tearing into the pavement on a service road along the site's western edge. It was then sifted onsite by forensic officials for fragments of human remains, Deputy Mayor Edward Skyler said.
City officials said that about 15 more pieces of remains had been recovered, bringing the total to nearly 100 this week.
Upset relatives of some Sept. 11 victims called for a federally led new search for remains in and around ground zero after construction workers found bones in one manhole excavated as part of work on a transit hub, officials said.
The unexpected discovery prompted the city to order a more thorough-going search of underground cavities that may have been missed.
The 80 bones and fragments found earlier this week ranged from a little less than 2cm to 30cm long, said Ellen Borakove, spokeswoman for the city medical examiner's office.
The bones possibly include ribs, arms, legs and vertebra, she said.