The Edvard Munch masterpieces The Scream and Madonna have been recovered two years after masked gunmen stole the paintings from a Norwegian museum, Oslo police announced.
At a news conference on Thursday, police said both paintings were in better than expected condition, and were recovered in a police operation.
The paintings were stolen in a bold, daylight raid from the Munch Museum in Oslo on Aug. 22, 2004.
"The pictures came into our hands this afternoon after a successful police action," said Iver Stensrud, who headed the police investigation into the theft.
He said the police had been working intensely for two years to find the paintings. He said no reward had been paid.
"All that remains is an expert examination to confirm with 100 percent certainty, that these are the original paintings. We believe these are the originals," Stensrud said.
The Scream, which shows a figure apparently screaming or hearing a scream, has become a modern icon of human anxiety. There are three other versions of the painting.
"I saw the paintings myself today, and there [was] far from the damage that could have been feared," Stensrud said.
He said it was not possible for the news media, or the public, to immediately see the paintings. He also refused to discuss the methods or details of the search.
Oslo's Munch Museum expressed delight over the national treasures being recovered.
"I am almost crying from happiness," said Gro Balas, who chairs the museum board.
"They have been given a cursory examination, but for now I am content just to feel overjoyed," she said. "The word we have about their condition is reassuring."
The paintings had remained missing despite the conviction of three suspects in the case in May, an international police hunt and the offer of a 2 million kroner (US$294,000) reward by the City of Oslo, which owns the paintings.
Stensrud said three people convicted in the theft had not contributed to the recovery of the paintings. He also said police believe the paintings had been in Norway the whole time.
"We feel we have been hot on the trail of the paintings the whole time, but it has taken time," he said.
In May, three Norwegians were sentenced to prison in the case by the Oslo District Court, but the masked gunmen remain at large.
Petter Tharaldsen, 34, was convicted of driving the getaway car and sentenced to eight years in prison.
Bjoern Hoen, 37, was sentenced to seven years in prison, and Petter Rosenvinge, 38, to four years for their roles in providing and preparing the getaway car.
Tharaldsen and Hoen were ordered to pay 750 million in compensation to Oslo.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of