New Zealand police yesterday dropped a dangerous driving charge against an armless man caught speeding without a license, saying they accepted that the man could operate a car safely with his feet.
Colin Raymond Smith, who was born without arms, was clocked driving at 121kph an hour in a 100kph zone in March and pulled over by a highway patrol officer who noticed Smith's right foot on the dashboard.
Smith, 31, was issued with an on-the-spot speeding infringement and charged with dangerous driving and driving without a license.
Smith paid a NZ$170 (US$112) speeding fine and NZ$400 fine for driving without a license and turned up at the District Court in the North Island town of Tauranga yesterday to defend the dangerous driving charge.
But prosecutor Sergeant Sean Brennan told the court police wanted to drop the charge after receiving evidence Smith could safely drive an automatic car with power steering. He said Smith had obtained a learner driver's permit since being picked up and should now be allowed back on the road, but that his vehicle should undergo some modifications.
"The police believe that in the interests of public safety this matter has been resolved," Brennan told the court.
Smith reportedly told the officer who pulled him over that he had been driving for years using one foot to steer and the other to work the accelerator and brake pedals.
At an earlier hearing in June, Smith's lawyer John Holmes told the court the defense would call expert testimony to prove that his client could drive safely using his feet.
Holmes said police were equating disability with danger, which could not be substantiated.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against