Sat, Jul 15, 2006 - Page 7 News List

Religious leaders quit Bush-Clinton Katrina committee

AP , NEW ORLEANS

Nearly all the religious leaders serving on a committee created by the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund to disburse money to churches destroyed by Hurricane Katrina have quit their posts, claiming their advice was ignored.

Four out of nine board members confirmed their resignations on Thursday. Last week, two others -- Bishop T.D. Jakes, the prominent Dallas megachurch pastor, and the Reverend William Gray, former president of the United Negro College Fund -- resigned as co-chairs.

And Gray and Jakes say they have received the resignation letter of a seventh board member, the Reverend William Shaw, president of the National Baptist Convention, USA. He did not immediately return a phone call on Thursday night.

Disregarded

Departing members of the interfaith advisory committee say the fund's Washington staff disregarded their advice, cutting checks for Gulf Coast churches without properly investigating the institutions.

"I've learned in life that if people say they want your advice and then they change it, ignore it, or undermine it, then they really don't want it," said Gray, also a former congressman.

The fund's co-chairs, former Commerce Secretary Donald Evans and former Labor Secretary Alexis Herman, issued a statement thanking Jakes and Gray for their leadership. A fund spokesman declined to comment on the resignations of the others or discuss their allegations.

The fund, created in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina by former presidents George Bush and Bill Clinton, has so far raised more than US$125 million, of which approximately US$20 million was earmarked for rebuilding faith-based organizations along the Gulf Coast. The interfaith advisory committee was charged with determining which churches, synagogues and mosques were in greatest need.

Few applications

Initially, Gray said, the committee assumed it would make around 500 awards, each for US$35,000. But as the applications began trickling in, staff members in New Orleans realized there were far fewer applicants than they had initially assumed. That meant they could increase the award amount, and the board agreed in consultation with the co-chairs of the fund that the grant ceiling would be increased to US$100,000, Gray said. They also agreed each of the churches or religious institutions receiving the charity's money would first be inspected, he said.

Numerous disagreements ensued, but Jakes and Gray said the last straw was the fund's decision to cut checks to 38 houses of worship, each for US$35,000 and without first conducting an audit.

This story has been viewed 2951 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top