Dozens of Afghan and coalition troops retook a southern Afghanistan district from Taliban fighters in an assault in which at least 15 rebels were killed, the defense ministry said yesterday.
The troops dropped from coalition aircraft stormed the remote Chora district in southcentral Uruzgan Province late on Friday and pushed Taliban fighters back into nearby mountains, the ministry said in a statement.
"At least 15 Taliban dead bodies were found. The overall Taliban casualties are believed to be 20," the statement said.
The army and US-led coalition were pursuing the escaped fighters, it said. Some were captured but the number would not be released pending final assessment of the battle damage, it said.
Taliban fighters overran the remote district late on Tuesday, setting ablaze the small district headquarters and some government vehicles, officials said.
Government security forces resisted for hours before fleeing. The district is about 380km southwest of the capital.
The Taliban, trying to regain control of the government that it lost in a US-led operation in 2001, often claims to hold districts in the south where they are most active.
This was the first time however that a government official has admitted they have been in control of an area for more than a few hours.
The Netherlands is due by the end of August to have 1,400 soldiers in place in Uruzgan, a hotbed for Taliban activities, as part of a NATO-led stabilization force.
Violence has intensified in southern Afghanistan over the past weeks with hundreds of people killed, mostly militants.
Much of the fighting has been in the south where the rebels have in the past month been able to fight major gun battles against Afghan and US-led coalition forces.
The coalition, which numbers more than 20,000 soldiers, has been in Afghanistan since 2001 to round up Taliban insurgents and their allies, including from al-Qaeda.
Despite their efforts there has been no let up in the insurgency, which this year appears stronger than ever before.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting