Heavy rains have drenched a province in southern China, leaving 22 people dead and forcing the evacuation of 50,000 people, state media reported yesterday.
Disaster crews bearing tents, quilts and rice were dispatched to flood-hit areas in central and northern Fujian Province, where the torrential rains began falling on Tuesday, the reports said.
Some areas received more than 20cm of rain, the China Youth Daily reported, and the Xinhua News Agency said more rain is expected this week.
So far, the provincial government said in a statement, the rains have destroyed about 23,000 homes and caused 524 million yuan (US$65.4 million) worth of damage.
Heavy rains afflict southern China every year around this time. The China Daily, citing the head of the state flood control agency, said all told 59 people have died in floods this year and 11 are still unaccounted for -- a lower than average toll.
In addition, the newspaper said, that the rains have caused 13 billion yuan in economic losses, about the average for this time of year.
In the southern province of Guangdong, the streets of Chayang town were covered in water 4m deep, after rains forced two hydropower stations to discharge waters from reservoirs, the China Daily said.
The secretary-general of the state flood control agency, E Jingping (鄂竟平), called on officials nationwide to ensure the safety of country's reservoirs, Xinhua reported. Flooding weakens dikes, and E cited one of China's worst catastrophes -- the collapse of dikes holding two reservoirs in 1975 that killed 26,000 people in Henan Province.
Since serious flooding of the Yangtze River in 1998, China has spent billions of dollars on flood mitigation.
Major rivers have been brought under greater control and early warning systems have been put in place, but flash floods and landslides caused by unprecedented rains continue to cause major damage.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses