An inquiry into Iraqi sanctions-busting by Australia's national wheat exporter took a dramatic turn yesterday when a confession the company tried to suppress was released.
The Australian Wheat Board (AWB) broke UN sanctions on Iraq by paying Saddam Hussein's government kickbacks for wheat sales, its former chief admitted in the draft apology letter released yesterday.
The company had previously denied paying bribes to secure wheat contracts under the UN's oil-for-food programme, which allowed Iraq to export oil to buy food and medicine.
But yesterday Terence Cole, head of the commission investigating the allegations released a six-paragraph "draft statement of contrition" which AWB had tried to have suppressed through the courts.
Former managing director Andrew Lindberg said the AWB took a purely "commercial and technical" approach to UN sanctions in order to maximize returns for Australian farmers in UN oil-for-food deals with Iraq.
"AWB accepts that in paying money for inland transportation and after-sales service it paid money to the Iraq government in contravention of the UN sanctions," said the January 1 apology letter released yesterday.
A UN report last year alleged that AWB was one of more than 2,000 firms that had paid kickbacks worth US$1.8 billion to Saddam's government through the UN-managed "oil-for-food" account.
It said AWB had provided the most kickbacks, paying US$222 million via a trucking firm that was a front for Saddam's regime.
The apology letter was tendered to the inquiry in March but had a suppression order placed on it until the court released it yesterday.
It was reportedly drafted last December on the advice of US corporate crisis guru, Peter Sandman, who said that AWB should "over-apologize" for the scandal.
But the inquiry heard that after it was written AWB's chairman Brendan Stewart and other directors decided against releasing it to the public.
Lindberg said in February he was stepping down as managing director as internal AWB documents to the inquiry showed AWB had deliberately hidden the Iraqi payments in "service fees."
The Australian government's credibility has been brought into question with the release of diplomatic cables talking of kickbacks.
Australian Prime Minister John Howard and his foreign and trade ministers have all denied seeing at least 21 diplomatic cables between 2000 and 2004 warning of possible AWB kickbacks.
In his letter, Lindberg said AWB had ignored "warning signs" and failed to challenge the Iraqi payments, which AWB has said it thought were initially approved by the UN.
He blamed the "culture" of AWB at the time for having no proper checks in place and for failing to realize "the potential consequences of these payments."
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting