The Pentagon announced on Monday that it was delaying indefinitely the deployment of an armored brigade to Iraq, in a sign that senior commanders in Iraq may shortly announce cuts in overall troop levels.
Pentagon officials said the decision to hold back a brigade of the 1st Infantry Division, based in Schweinfurt, Germany, was made because the top commanders in the war zone are still considering whether to recommend troop cuts, and it didn't make sense to keep to the deployment schedule when such decisions were looming.
"This is a narrow decision for this unit not to begin its deployment as scheduled," said Bryan Whitman, a Pentagon spokesman.
A Pentagon official said that with Iraq's prime minister-designate, Nuri Kamal al-Maliki, forming a Cabinet, General George Casey Jr, the top commander in Iraq, could decide that the conditions are right for troop cuts.
"We're having pretty good traction on the political front, and he's saying, `Before I send that unit, let me make sure I really want to send them at this time,"' said the senior official, who was granted anonymity to allow him to describe the thinking about decisions on future troop movements.
The change does not reduce the approximately 133,000 US troops in Iraq, and officials said the unit involved could still go if Casey decides he needs a heavy armored brigade.
Meanwhile, South Korea yesterday began bringing troops home from Iraq under a plan to scale back its presence there by a third, military officials said.
Seoul plans to withdraw about 1,000 of its 3,200-member contingent stationed in northern Iraq by the end of this year.
The first reduction of soldiers yesterday came as part of a troop rotation, officials in Seoul said.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses