A student at the University of Texas found a substance in a roll of quarters that tested positive for ricin, a potentially deadly poison, but more tests were needed, officials said on Saturday.
The 19-year-old student, who said she unwrapped the powder in her dormitory room on Thursday, and her roommate were checked at a hospital for potential exposure to the poison, although neither had any symptoms, officials said.
"I guess you can say I was just weirded out," said Kelly Heinbaugh, a freshman kinesiology major.
"It seemed out of place ... I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry," she said.
Because people with ricin poisoning develop symptoms within only a few hours of exposure, university officials were confident all the students would be fine, said Theresa Spalding with university student health services.
Symptoms can include anything from difficulty breathing, fever, cough, nausea and sweating to severe vomiting and dehydration.
Preliminary tests by state health officials showed the substance to be ricin or a substance close to it, spokesman Doug McBride said.
FBI spokesman Rene Salinas said federal investigators would conduct further tests.
"There is nothing to lead us to believe that it is in fact a terrorist act," he said. "There's no link to any terrorism."
Officials said that the roll of quarters had been in the students' room at the Moore-Hill dormitory for several months.
The dormitory was sanitized and inspected, and students were cleared to return, the university said.
"We feel like we have taken every precaution possible to assure the safety and health of our students," university spokeswoman Rhonda Weldon said.
Ricin is extracted from castor beans and can be added to food or water, injected or sprayed as an aerosol.
It can be in the form of a powder, mist, pellet, or it can be dissolved in water or weak acid.
STEP TOO FAR? The mandatory COVID-19 app has unprecedented access to users’ location data and forces Android users to give access to their picture and video galleries Privacy concerns over Qatar’s COVID-19 contact tracing app, a tool that is mandatory on pain of prison, have prompted a rare backlash and forced officials to offer reassurance and concessions. Like other governments around the world, Qatar has turned to mobile phones to trace people’s movements and track who they come into contact with, allowing officials to monitor infections and alert people at risk of infection. The apps use Bluetooth to ping nearby devices, which can be contacted subsequently if a user they have been near develops symptoms or tests positive for the virus, but the resultant unprecedented access to users’ location
‘CULTURE ERADICATION’: A US official said that Beijing is trying to stamp out the Uighur culture because it is not what the Chinese Communist Party deems ‘Chinese’ The US Congress on Wednesday authorized sanctions against Chinese officials over the mass incarceration of Muslim Uighurs. The US House of Representatives voted with just one dissent in favor of the Uighur Human Rights Act. Rights groups say that at least 1 million Uighurs and other Turkic Muslims in China’s northwestern Xinjiang region have been incarcerated in what Beijing calls “re-education” camps. “If America does not speak out against human rights [violations] in China because of some commercial interest, then we lose all moral authority to speak out on human rights violations any place in the world,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said. House Committee
UNITED STATES SpaceX launch delayed SpaceX’s launch to the International Space Station — the first crewed mission to blast off from US soil in almost a decade — was scrubbed on Wednesday due to fears of a lightning strike. With NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley strapped into the Crew Dragon capsule, the launch pad platform retracted and rocket fueling under way, SpaceX made the call to abort. “We had just simply too much electricity in the atmosphere,” NASA chief Jim Bridenstine said. UNITED STATES Chinese ministry checked Twitter has applied a fact check tag to at least two posts made in March by
Anglo-Australian mining giant Rio Tinto has admitted damaging ancient Aboriginal rock shelters in Australia’s remote Pilbara region — blasting near the 46,000-year-old heritage site to expand an iron ore mine. Traditional owners said that the culturally significant cave in Juukan Gorge, Western Australia — one of the earliest known sites occupied by Aborigines in Australia — had been destroyed in a “devastating blow” to the community. Explosives were detonated on Sunday near the site in line with state government approvals granted seven years ago, Rio Tinto said in a statement. “In 2013, ministerial consent was granted to allow Rio Tinto to conduct activity