The White House has been slow to establish an oversight board charged with ensuring that the government's campaign against terrorism does not erode privacy and civil rights, a bipartisan group of senators said.
Five months after the board was created, US President George W. Bush has yet to name any members or an executive director, and the US$750,000 budget for the board proposed by the White House is far less than the budgets of other federal panels, the senators said.
"We urge the White House to take the steps necessary to allow the board to begin functioning effectively as soon as possible," the senators said in a letter to Andrew Card Jr, the White House chief of staff, that was released on Friday.
The letter was signed by Senator Susan Collins, a Republican, who leads the Committee on Homeland Security, and by three Democrats: Senators Richard Durbin of Illinois, Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut and Patrick Leahy of Vermont.
The White House said in response to the senators' concerns that Bush remained committed to giving the board the staffing and resources it would need to monitor and protect civil liberties in the fight against terrorism.
Trent Duffy, a White House spokesman, declined to say when board members might be named.
"We're working to finalize a list of people," Duffy said, "and the hope is to move quickly on this."
He rejected charges that the effort had gone too slowly, saying the president was "moving at the appropriate pace, and he wants to make sure the right people are on board."
The Sept. 11 Commission, in its final report last summer, noted the absence of any centralized federal office to protect civil liberties in the campaign against terrorism, and it urged the creation of such an office. Congress moved on the idea last December as part of a broader restructuring of federal intelligence operations, creating the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board.
The move reflected a compromise that allowed the White House to retain control of the panel and its membership. Some House Democrats, calling the plan watered-down and ineffective, have proposed a more independent body with greater subpoena power, but that idea appears to have stalled in Congress.
In their letter to the White House, the four senators asked for a timetable and details on how the panel would be staffed and set up. The letter noted that the White House's proposed budget for the board fell well below the US$13 million devoted to a civil-rights office within the Department of Homeland Security.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses