A special prosecutor appointed to investigate Mexico's most important human rights crimes said on Thursday he would bring charges against two dozen former military and civilian officials for the 1968 student massacre at Tlatelolco. \nThe prosecutor, Ignacio Carrillo, said that former President Luis Echeverria Alvarez could be among those named in the indictments to be filed in March. \nIf so, it would be the government's second attempt to win a genocide indictment against Echeverria, now 83, and considered the oldest survivor of the authoritarian government that used fraud and corruption to control the country for more than seven decades. \nLast July, prosecutors charged Echeverria and several of his former aides with genocide in the killings of at least 25 student protesters who were attacked with clubs and chains by shock troops as they marched peacefully through Mexico City in 1971. \nThe indictment, the first against a former Mexican president, was considered a signal event. \nBut the next day, a Mexican judge dismissed the charges, saying that the 30-year-old statute of limitations had passed. \nThat decision is currently being reviewed by Mexico's Supreme Court. \nIn a telephone interview, Carrillo said he would not wait for the Supreme Court's decision in that case to file the indictments in the Tlatelolco massacre, in which a military unit opened fire on student protesters gathered in a downtown plaza shortly before the 1968 Olympics. \nHundreds were killed and wounded, and the Tlatelolco massacre was a turning point in Mexico's struggle for democracy and fueled an era of social unrest. \nOver the next 15 years, the government began violent campaigns against its real and imagined enemies. \nAt least 275 people were kidnapped and killed in the so-called dirty war, and independent human rights activists say the real toll is twice as high. \nCarrillo said he expected to file another 30 indictments in the dirty war killings before the end of the year.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread