Former Philippine president Joseph Estrada yesterday admitted he flew his personal barber to Hong Kong, but denied he violated court rules on his trip there. \nEstrada, who was recuperating from knee surgery in Hong Kong, said he did not understand why his barber's trip had become an issue in the Philippines. \n"I paid for his airfare, and not the government. What is the issue there?" he said in an interview with a local radio station from Hong Kong. "It was embarrassing that my hair was long." \nThe deposed president also vowed he will return to the Philippines on Jan. 15, the day designated by the Sandiganbayan anti-graft court. \n"It is impossible that I not return to the Philippines," Estrada said. "I was born there, I grew up there. I love my country and that is where I will die." \nHe later ordered his lawyers to withdraw a petition seeking to extend his stay for six days in Hong Kong. \nEstrada came under fire in Manila for allegedly violating the rules of his trip to Hong Kong and flying his personal barber there. \nLocal media reported that Estrada was allowed by his police escorts to leave the Hong Kong Adventist Hospital to have dinner and an overnight stay in a hotel. \nThe reports added that Estrada entertained some visitors at the hotel after getting a trim from his personal barber. \n"I returned to the hospital afterwards," Estrada said. "There is nothing wrong with that." \nThe Sandiganbayan allowed Estrada to travel to Hong Kong for his knee surgery last month. However, it set several restrictions on his stay in the former British colony. \nIn its decision, the court said Estrada should only stay and be confined to Hong Kong Adventist Hospital during his stay there. \nFormer congressman Didagen Dilangalen, a spokesman for the deposed leader, said Estrada did not violate the rules of his stay. \n"His doctors told him he needed to get some fresh air, so he was told to go out for a while," he said. "He was just following his doctors' order." \nEstrada is on trial for the capital charge of plunder or theft of public funds and perjury. He was ousted by a military-backed mass uprising in January 2001 and detained three months later. \nOn Monday, the head justice in Estrada's corruption trial resigned from the case amid speculation of interference by the government.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of