US President George W. Bush met with Iraq's interim president at the White House to persuade Iraqi minority groups to participate in next month's election -- a pivotal step toward a democracy still threatened by a violent insurgency. \nBush met yesterday with Iraqi interim President Ghazi al-Yawer, an influential leader in Sunni Muslim regions of Iraq where the fiercest battles against insurgents have been waged. \nBoth men wanted the Jan. 30 election held on time, but other Sunni leaders want it to be postponed, saying the ongoing violence in these areas would keep people from voting. \nAl-Yawer's visit to the White House is a way to persuade Iraq's political minorities not to boycott the ballot. \n"I don't know how many Sunnis are going to be open to the message, but in Middle Eastern terms, it's very symbolic to invite somebody into your house from a community you've been fighting with," said James Phillips, a specialist on Iraq and the Middle East at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative Washington think tank. \n"It shows an openness to some kind of political settlement. It's trying to encourage them [the Sunnis] to include themselves in the power structure -- and therefore help weaken the insurgency," he said. \nThe Sunnis, who represent just one-fifth of the Iraqi population, wielded the power under former president Saddam Hussein. They fear the election will give Shiite Muslims, with 60 percent of the population, an overpowering grip on the nation. US and Iraqi officials worry that a Sunni boycott could undermine the legitimacy of a new government. \nFollowing his session with al-Yawer, Bush met with Jordan's King Abdullah II and, following that, with Senegal's President Abdoulaye Wade. The agenda likely includes discussion of efforts to restart peace negotiations between the Israelis and Palestinians as well as the Iraqi election. To bolster security ahead of the voting, the US announced last week it was increasing its military force in Iraq to the highest level of the war, including the initial invasion in March last year. \nThe 12,000-troop increase is to last only until March, but it says much about the strength and resiliency of the insurgency that US military planners failed to foresee when Saddam was toppled in April last year. \nThe 135 American troops who died supporting US-led operations in Iraq last month matches April of this year for the deadliest month since fighting began in March last year. Last week, al-Yawer told reporters in Baghdad that the security situation in some areas of Iraq remained "very bad." \n"There are areas where no one has been able to give out even one voter registration sheet," said al-Yawer. \nOn Sunday, however, al-Yawer told NBC television's Meet the Press that delaying the election would only "prolong the agony for Iraqis" and "bring a tactical victory to the insurgents." \n"We still have two months to elections," he said, adding that he believes most Iraqis are committed to a democratic future. \nAl-Yawer said.Iraq was not nearing a civil war, and suggested that US troops will need to stay in Iraq only until the war-torn nation builds an effective security force. \n"I don't think it will take several years," he said. "It will take months." \nIn other developments, US troops fought a gunbattle yesterday with insurgents along Baghdad's busy Haifa Street, sending passers-by scurrying for cover and forcing stores to close down, witnesses said. Also, three insurgents were killed and four wounded in clashes with US forces in Haditha, 220km northwest of Baghdad, according to a Haditha Hospital doctor.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses