A militant group linked to al-Qaeda ally Abu Musab al-Zarqawi threatened in a statement yesterday to kill Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi and other Iraqi officials. \n"Allawi be sure that we only have the sword for you, whose thirst we'll quench with your blood. This may be soon by the strength of God," said the statement posted on an a Web site Islamic militants have sometimes used to post warnings. \nThe statement, signed by the Tawhid and Jihad Group, listed several attacks the group had claimed and warned Iraqi officials, "The list has begun but hasn't ended." \nIts authenticity could not be immediately verified. \nZarqawi's group has claimed responsibility for several suicide bombings and other attacks on Iraqi and US officials in recent months. It has also killed an American, a South Korean and a Bulgarian hostage in Iraq. \nThe group said in Saturday's statement it was pleased when the Iraqi governor of Anbar province -- who told reporters on Thursday he was resigning as demanded by kidnappers who seized three of his sons last week -- "recanted" his sins and warned it would kill Iraqi officials who had "sold out" their religion. \n"Governor, when you recanted, it was more pleasurable to us than killing you would have been. All that we want is that your recanting is an example for all others who have chosen worldly gains and sold out their religion," it said. \n"We warn them [Iraqi officials] that we have killed the head of the Governing Council Abdul Zahra and his followers in the Interior Ministry. The Justice Minister has managed to escape us. We have killed the Governor of Mosul, and here we have captured the Governor of Anbar. The list has begun but hasn't ended." \n"Realize that if you fall into our hands, we will not be merciful and we won't be fooled by your recanting. Take heed, for now we have warned you." \nIn May, a suicide car bomb killed the head of Iraq's Governing Council Abdul Zahra Othman Mohammad. \nZarqawi's group claimed in July the killing of the governor of the Iraqi city of Mosul in an ambush and a suicide car bombing of a convoy in Baghdad that killed five bodyguards of Justice Minister Malik al-Hassan. The minister was unhurt.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting