North Korea mixed threats to deal "merciless crushing blows" to the United States with gushing tributes to state founder Kim Il-sung on yesterday, the 10th anniversary of his death.
Kim's reclusive son and successor Kim Jong-il led the leadership to remember Kim Il-sung in a 55-minute memorial ceremony broadcast on state television. The "Great Leader" Kim died on July 8, 1994 after 46 years in power.
"He is, indeed, a peerless patriot, father of the nation and great sage of revolution who devoted his whole life to the freedom and happiness of the people," said Kim Yong-nam, the North's No. 2 leader and president of parliament.
Kim Jong-il, who has led the country for the past decade, was shown walking into the ceremonial hall and bowing. Maintaining his record of rarely speaking in public, he was not among the three officials who addressed the gathering.
Parliament president Kim Yong-nam praised the younger Kim for his "scientific insight into the urgent demand of the times and the acute situation."
North Korea has suffered a decade of economic decline, lost at least a million people to famine and is diplomatically isolated as a result of its attempts to build nuclear weapons.
Kim leads the North as the chairman of the National Defence Commission and the supreme commander of the 1.1-million-strong Korean People's Army. He uses the ideology "Songun" -- or military first -- to justify the army's domination of the state.
In South Korea, one aspect of the Kims' legacy was being marked with commemorations of the fifth anniversary of Hanawon, a government-run halfway house where North Korean refugees have been trained for life in the prosperous South.
Nearly 5,000 North Koreans have found asylum in the South in recent years.
Defense Minister Kim Il-chol told the crowd that North Korea was ready to defend itself against US aggression.
"If the US imperialists start a war in the end, the KPA will mobilize the the military deterrent force built up for years and thus conclude the confrontation with the US with merciless crushing blows," he said.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of