The US Defense Department issued a mandatory evacuation order on Friday for non-emergency employees and family members of American military personnel in Bahrain, because of concern about planned attacks by extremists on US and Western targets in the Gulf state.
The kingdom is home to the US Navy Fifth Fleet.
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld approved the "temporary relocation," lasting at least 30 days, after the State Department issued an advisory about planned attacks.
"Credible information indicates that extremists remain at large and are planning attacks in Bahrain," the advisory stated.
"At this point, it is a mandatory departure," said Pentagon spokesman Jim Turner. "However, we are monitoring the situation closely.
"Commanders constantly assess the threat and take measures as appropriate to protect service members, civilian employees and their families."
The non-emergency employees and family members of US military personnel were expected to relocate to the US, Turner said.
Earlier, American citizens in Bahrain were urged to consider leaving.
Neighboring Saudi Arabia has been hit by a wave of suicide bombings and shootings of Westerners carried out by Saudi-born militant Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network.
It is less than two weeks since Bahrain arrested six men on suspicion of supporting al-Qaeda and planning attacks in the Gulf state, but then freed them because of lack of evidence.
The US Embassy in Manama gave no details about the threat in Bahrain, but mentioned the suicide bombings in Saudi Arabia, which hit residential compounds.
Scores of Westerners and other foreigners -- who form the bulk of the workforce in the world's largest oil exporter -- have recently left Saudi Arabia for Bahrain to escape a string of al-Qaeda attacks.
Pro-Western Bahrain is linked to Saudi Arabia by a causeway and its largely liberal, tolerant society and less restrictive lifestyle make it a haven for foreigners.
But Bahrain has seen several violent protests against US policy in the Middle East, including demonstrations organized by Shi'ite Muslim opposition groups.
In February last year, five Bahrainis were arrested and accused of planning "terror" attacks in the kingdom.
Last month, the US State Department warned about the possibility of militant attacks in the oil-rich Gulf region after a kidnapped American was beheaded in Saudi Arabia.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday