India and Pakistan began talks yesterday about ways to reduce the risk of nuclear war for the first time since the neighbors became nuclear powers in 1998 and two years after they edged to the brink of war. \nThe two days of meetings in New Delhi come during a hesitant year-old peace process as the two sides try to rebuild relations a week before broader high-level talks. \nPakistan's acting foreign secretary, Tariq Osman Hyder, is leading an eight-member team for the discussions with an additional secretary from India's Foreign Ministry, Sheel Kant Sharma, and other officials. \nTalks are expected to include establishing a hotline between the two nations to prevent a sudden nuclear escalation. \nThe Pakistani delegates were expected to meet India's Foreign Minister Natwar Singh later yesterday. \nThe nuclear talks, delayed a month by India's recent election, comes a week before discussions next Sunday between the two foreign secretaries -- the civil servants in charge of both foreign ministries -- on a range of issues, including disputed Kashmir. \nTensions over Kashmir, especially fighting in the summer of 1999 in the rugged region of Kargil, have delayed the nuclear risk reduction talks for six years. \nSome analysts say building nuclear trust between the two neighbors -- armed with an arsenal of nuclear-capable ballistic missiles and bogged down by decades of hostility -- is crucial for improving ties. \n"Nuclear trust is so important. It will create a better atmosphere and form a stronger basis for proceeding on other issues including Kashmir," said Pran Chopra, South Asian analyst and commentator. \nAnalysts also say the fact the countries are talking about how to prevent nuclear conflict is welcome in itself. \n"The aim of the talks is to agree on the broad agenda for future talks. It is unrealistic to expect a quick breakthrough. It took the superpowers over 30 years to break their nuclear impasse," defense analyst Jasjit Singh said. \n"But whether now or later, both sides will have to talk about reducing armed conflict across its full spectrum to decrease the risk of a nuclear clash," Singh said. \nIndia and Pakistan have fought two of their three wars over the scenic Himalayan region of Kashmir, where Muslim militants are fighting New Delhi's forces in the portion held by India. \nDespite attempts at a peace process after Kargil, the two countries came close to war in mid-2002 after insurgents based in Pakistan attacked India's parliament in late 2001, triggering international fears of a nuclear exchange. \nBut an offer of peace last year by Atal Behari Vajpayee, then India's prime minister, drew an encouraging response from Islamabad. Transport links and full diplomatic ties were restored and the ageing leader met Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf in January in Pakistan. New Delhi's stated nuclear policy is not to strike first with nuclear weapons, but Pakistan, worried about India's growing conventional military superiority, has made no such pledge. \n"The differences in these two doctrines is a major obstacle that must be dealt with in these and future talks," Chopra said. \nMore high-level diplomatic contact takes place on Monday when Singh meets his Pakistani counterpart Kursheed Mehmood Kasuri on the sidelines of a regional conference in China. \nThis will be the first time the two will have met since Singh became foreign minister.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against