Haiti's new Cabinet met for the first time Wednesday to discuss myriad woes including the urgent need to disarm gunmen in the traumatized nation where rebels, street gangs and escaped convicts terrorize much of the land despite the presence of hundreds of US-led peacekeepers.
Haitian police officers are among those accused of fueling the turmoil, with a report Wednesday that five officers have been detained on suspicion of killing five supporters of ousted president Jean-Bertrand Aristide's party.
According to the National Coalition for Haitian Rights, relatives of the victims, aged 17 to 24, said the officers rounded up and executed the men over the weekend. It said the officers were detained Monday but no charges had been filed.
US Marine Major Richard Crusan confirmed the five were detained.
Police were accused of brutalizing opponents of Aristide, who fled the country Feb. 29 as a three-week popular rebellion neared Port-au-Prince, the capital. Scores of police were among more than 300 people killed, and hundreds fled before the rebels, who torched police stations and freed thousands of convicts.
A month later, rebels remain armed and in charge in Haiti's three largest cities outside the capital, while some smaller towns are under the sway of street gangs and convicts.
In Les Cayes, on the southeast peninsula, gangs carried out a public execution Monday, UN relief worker Fernando Arroyo said.
A 14-year-old boy caught stealing was chased by a mob that dragged him before an improvised jury that ordered him shot to death, Arroyo said.
In northeast Fort Liberte, there are reports that "a gang of convicts is basically running the place," Arroyo said.
A reporter watched rebel leader Louis-Jodel Chamblain, a convicted assassin, acting as judge this week in the northern port of Cap-Haitien, where Aristide supporters and French peacekeepers say bodies are appearing in the bay.
Chamblain holds court despite the arrival last week of 150 French troops and the return of about 50 police officers.
Arroyo said the "still chaotic" situation was stifling access for aid workers.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against