Bringing Australian soldiers back from Iraq by Christmas has become a major political issue as an election looms, and the opposition's popular new leader insisted yesterday that the troops had to come home.
Opposition Labor leader Mark Latham, who has taken the lead in opinion polls, has vowed to bring Australia's 850 troops home by Christmas if his center-left party wins power in an election expected by most analysts to be held in October or November.
But Prime Minister John Howard, a close US ally who sent 2,000 military personnel to Iraq, has accused Latham of sending the wrong signal to terror groups, Australia's allies and the Iraqi people and called on him to reconsider his commitment.
US Ambassador to Australia Tom Schieffer, who has previously been rebuked for interfering in domestic politics, jumped into the row on Thursday by warning of dangerous consequences if troops were withdrawn prematurely from Iraq.
But Latham, who once called US President George W. Bush "dangerous" and "incompetent" over his decision to go to war in Iraq, has refused to change his pledge or kow-tow to the US.
He said the handover to an Iraqi government when occupation formally ends on June 30 was the logical time to withdraw troops as this ended Australia's international responsibility to Iraq.
"Labor has a realistic proposal here and we are sticking to it," Latham told Australian television.
"Australians are worried about security in this country and we are going to be much safer as a nation if we have our troops here instead of on the other side of the world."
A Newspoll survey this week found 65 percent of Australians thought the country's role in Iraq had put it at greater risk of a terror attack.
Spain's new prime minister, Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, swept to power this month after promising to withdraw Spanish troops from Iraq and in the aftermath of the Madrid train bombings which killed 190 people and blamed on Islamic militants.
Latham's row with the government over troops in Iraq has finally given Labor the chance to take the lead on national security, an area dominated by Howard for more than two years.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting