Senior US officials have revealed the case against four British terror suspects held at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp to counter pressure from London for their release, a British newspaper reported yesterday.
The unnamed officials for the first time broke a silence about around 640 detainees held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to say the Britons posed "a serious threat" and would continue to fight if released, the Daily Telegraph said.
The report comes as Britain's Home Secretary David Blunkett promised to take up the issue with US President George W. Bush's administration during a trip to Washington this week after criticising the way the men were being treated.
"People have a right to legal representation and to challenge the decisions taken," Blunkett told Sky News on Sunday. "That is not the case in Guantanamo Bay and I shall be raising ... the situation of the four who remain there and the conditions under which they are held."
Last month officials announced five of the nine British detainees would be released. Those men are expected to return home this week and are likely to be set free after being questioned by anti-terror police.
However, the other four -- Feroz Abbasi, Moazzam Begg, Richard Belmar and Martin Mubanga -- remain captive. Two of them are among a small group designated for trial before military commissions.
Britain -- Washington's closest ally in the "war on terror" -- has said it wants the men to be tried in accordance with international standards or returned home.
US officials told the paper the four remaining captives had trained at al Qeada camps in Afghanistan where they learnt bomb-making, assassination and urban warfare skills.
They dismissed claims the men were picked up in a crude sweep by US forces in Afghanistan saying one of the men had met Osama bin Laden three times and had agreed to carry out suicide missions.
"In Britain, we've gotten no information out about these guys at all," one unnamed senior official was quoted as saying, adding there was disappointment that the British government had not done more to explain why the men were considered a threat.
"We have ceded the public relations ground to those who would say that these people are entirely innocent," the official said.
But a lawyer representing families of two detainees hit back, saying no reliance could be placed on the allegations.
"They [the detainees] have no way of responding to these allegations because they aren't allowed a voice because they have no access to lawyers," Louise Christian said.
"It's a PR battle in which they [the US government] have got all the cards."
Later yesterday, the UK-based Guantanamo Human Rights Commission, made up of family members and supporters of the detainees, will stage a march to the White House.
The group includes Briton Terry Waite, who was held captive for almost five years by Islamic militants in Lebanon. He has likened his experiences to those of the inmates at Guantanamo.
Henry Tong (湯偉雄) and Elaine To (杜依蘭) were preparing to spend their first wedding anniversary in separate prison cells until their acquittal for rioting during Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests. There were gasps and tears of relief in court on Friday last week as a judge declared prosecutors had failed to prove that the couple took part in clashes with police in July last year. The pair walked free in a ruling that has potential consequences for hundreds of other protesters facing similar charges. However, they have a long journey ahead as they try to rebuild their lives and business. “We have already been punished,”
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable