A decision to bring charges against a deputy head of police who ordered a senior colleague to threaten to inflict pain on a suspect has triggered a debate in Germany over the use of police torture. \nMost German newspapers Saturday supported the decision by prosecutors to file charges against Wolfgang Daschner, of the Frankfurt police department, who has admitted authorizing the threat to force a kidnapper to reveal the whereabouts of his victim. \nUnknown to police at the time, the 11-year-old son of a prominent banker had already been killed by the kidnapper and his body dumped in a lake. \nThe case when it comes to court is bound to raise the question: can torture or the threat of torture be used by police as a last resort if it means saving a person's life? \nMuch sympathy and understanding had been expressed for the police chief, who found himself four days after the disappearance of Jakob von Metzler in September 2002 facing an uncooperative kidnap suspect. \nMagnus Gaefgen, a 28-year-old law student, had already sent police on a false trail and Daschner felt time was running out. \nOnly after Gaefgen had been threatened and told by Daschner that a torture expert was on his way by helicopter to join the interrogation did the suspect confess the boy was dead and reveal his whereabouts. \nDaschner, a 60-year-old career policeman with a reputation for correctness, even made a note in the files of his order to the chief inspector in charge of questioning to "inflict Magnus Gaefgen with pain" to try to make him reveal the truth. \nHe also informed prosecutors of his action, arguing that he was justified in threatening the man in the special circumstances. \nDaschner received support at the time from politicians including the Hesse state premier, Roland Koch, who said he could understand why the police chief had taken the action he did in an extreme situation. \nFollowing a year-long investigation, prosecutors say they have decided to bring charges against Daschner of "instigating an act of intimidation" rather than the more serious charge of "extortion of testimony by duress." Charges of "intimidation" and "abuse of office" have been brought against the 50-year-old police inspector. \nA spokesman for the Frankfurt prosecutors office said it would be more difficult to obtain a conviction against Daschner on the more serious charge as police were not trying to force a confession but trying to save a life. \nThe charge was welcomed by the head of the German Police Union, Wolfgang Speck, who said the use or threat of torture must remain an absolute taboo in Germany, but that Daschner's action demonstrated the extreme situations in which police sometimes found themselves. \nDieter Wiefelspuetz, parliamentary home affairs expert for the ruling Social Democrats, said Daschner had discredited the rule of state law and should never be allowed to work in a position of similar responsibility again. \nAnd in a country in which there are still strong memories of the use of torture by the Nazis, the Sueddeutsche Zeitung said in a commentary that Germany knew better than most that there "are things on which the essence of civilization stands or falls." \nThe ban on the use of torture "is a pillar of the state of law which was built here after 1945 and on which the country can be proud." It was right to file charges, and it was right the police officers would now have to answer for their actions, it said. \nA date for the case has yet to be announced. Daschner's lawyer, Eckart Hild, said the charge would be contested as the police chief had acted within reasonable bounds to try to save the boy's life. \nMeanwhile Hans-Ulrich Endres, the lawyer for kidnapper Gaefgen, has protested against the decision to file the milder charge and said he hoped the "true dimension" of the case would come to light in court. \nGaefgen, who had been seeking a ransom of 1 million euros (US$1.25 million) from the boy's family, was sentenced to life imprisonment in July last year, but Endres said he would be appealing to the constitutional court in Karlsruhe against the sentence in view of the police threat of torture. \n"Should Karlsruhe prove me right, Magnus will be free in three years and have a claim to damages," he told Focus magazine. \nDaschner has meanwhile been transferred from Frankfurt to other police duties in nearby Wiesbaden. He could face a jail sentence of between six months and five years on conviction.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
They stand as eyesores to most passers-by and potential public health risks to authorities, decaying buildings wrapped in tangles of exposed wire, studded with protruding leaky plastic pipes, vegetation billowing from cracks and terraces where particulates from polluted air have accumulated over time. With skyscrapers and ultramodern developments on every side, some of these “nail houses” are also sitting on land worth millions of dollars in Shenzhen’s inferno of a property market, where new-unit and second-hand home prices rival London. In battles over land and development, the nail house phenomenon has become widespread throughout China over the past two decades, with owners
An Italian alpine resort on Friday remained on high alert over fears that a vast chunk of a glacier on the slopes of the Mont Blanc massif could plummet in high temperatures. “No one gets through! No cars, bikes or pedestrians,” was the message at a checkpoint where an automatic barrier and two guards blocked the small road snaking up into a lush valley below the Planpincieux glacier, near the town of Courmayeur and the Italian-French border. The blockade has largely been greeted with contempt by the locals, one of whom said: “It’s a joke.” The huge ice block measuring around 500,000 cubic
BEYOND CULTURE: The US State Department was expected to announce that the Chinese government-funded institutes would have to register as foreign missions US President Donald Trump’s administration is increasing scrutiny of a long-established Chinese-government funded program that is dedicated to teaching Chinese language and culture in the US and other nations, the latest escalation of tensions with Beijing. The US Department of State was expected to announce as soon as yesterday that Confucius Institutes in the US — many of which are based on college campuses — would have to register as “foreign missions,” according to people familiar with the matter who asked not to be identified. The designation would amount to a conclusion that the institutes are “substantially owned or effectively controlled” by