A parcel bomb exploded in the hands of EU Commission President Romano Prodi at his Bologna home on Saturday but he was not hurt.
"I opened a parcel containing a book ... I was holding it quite far away from me. There was a big flame but no serious damage, it just burnt some furniture and a carpet," Prodi, smiling and appearing calm, told reporters outside his home.
"There was explosive powder inside the book," he said.
Italian news agencies said the parcel had been addressed to Prodi's wife.
The former prime minister said he opened the parcel very carefully after "recent warnings," apparently in reference to two small home-made bombs that exploded in rubbish bins near his Bologna apartment on Dec. 22.
Prodi was not in his flat at the time of those explosions, which hurt no one and caused no damage to property. Explosives experts defused a third device placed in another nearby bin.
Bologna police chief Marcello Fulvio was quoted in several newspapers after those explosions as saying initial inquiries pointed towards anarchists who had targeted policemen guarding Prodi's home rather than the politician himself.
No one at Bologna police headquarters was available for comment on Saturday evening after the parcel bomb incident.
Prodi is based in Brussels but returns regularly to his apartment in the northern city of Bologna. He is expected to return to Italian politics when his EU term ends late next year and to lead the center-left against Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi in elections in 2006.
The speaker of the lower house of parliament, Pieferdinando Casini, rushed to visit Prodi just after news of the parcel bomb came out. He told reporters on his way in: "This is a very worrying episode, especially in light of what happened in recent days [the earlier explosions]."
"These acts of intimidation ... demonstrate that terrorism is alive and well in this city," Casini added.
Several parcel bombs were sent to Italian police stations in October and one wounded a policeman in November when it blew up in his hands. Police have said they suspected anarchist groups in those attacks too.
Italy has also been witness in recent years to political violence carried out by the new Red Brigades, a modern incarnation of the 1970s ultra-left urban guerrilla group.
The Red Brigades claimed responsibility for the murders of two senior Labour Ministry advisers in 1999 and 2000. One of the victims, a friend of Prodi, Marco Biagi, was gunned down in front of his house in Bologna in March last year.
Police have arrested 12 suspected members of the group in connection with the two political murders, and Interior Minister Giuseppe Pisanu has said Italy had broken the back of the group.
‘SERIOUS QUESTIONS’: Three US senators sent a letter to the US commerce secretary asking whether the project ‘takes into consideration national security requirements’ US Senator Chuck Schumer and two other Democratic colleagues have written to top US administration officials asking for details of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd’s (TSMC) plan to build a US$12 billion fab in Arizona. Hsinchu-based TSMC on Thursday last week announced that it would build a plant to make 5 nanometer chips by 2024 that would have the capacity to produce 20,000 semiconductor wafers per month. The world’s biggest contract chipmaker already has one chipmaking fab in Camas, Washington, and design centers in Austin, Texas, and San Jose, California. It said it planned to start construction in Arizona next year and
VULNERABLE: Many women do not report sexual harassment by their landlord over fears they could lose the roof over their head, an expert said A growing number of landlords are asking tenants for sex in exchange for housing as COVID-19 lockdowns and job cuts have left many struggling to pay their rent, housing experts said. A survey by the National Fair Housing Alliance of more than 100 fair housing groups combating discrimination across the US found that 13 percent had seen an increase in sexual harassment complaints during the pandemic. “If I did not have sex with him, he was going to put me out,” one woman facing eviction by her property manager told the alliance in an podcast on its Web site. “As a single
MOM’S LONG CAMPAIGN: Mao Yin had been brought up in Mianyang, Sichuan Province, without any idea that he was the target of a decades-long, high-profile search A Chinese man who was stolen from his family as a toddler has been reunited with his parents after 32 years. Mao Yin (毛寅), then two-and-a-half years old, was snatched in 1988 when he was walking home from nursery with his father. His parents finally embraced him again on Monday in Xian, where he was born. After Mao vanished, his mother Li Jingzhi (李靜芝) quit her job and launched a decades-long search for her son, that included sending out more than 100,000 flyers and appearing on numerous TV shows. That long campaign helped 29 other families find their own missing children and made
HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES? An institute of the Chinese Ministry of Public Security and a company are to be sanctioned over ‘human rights violations and abuses’ The US Department of Commerce on Friday said that it would sanction a Chinese government institute and eight companies over alleged human rights abuses against Uighurs and other minorities in China’s western Xinjiang region. “These nine parties are complicit in human rights violations and abuses committed in China’s campaign of repression, mass arbitrary detention, forced labor and high-technology surveillance against Uighurs, ethnic Kazakhs and other members of Muslim minority groups in the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region,” the department said in a statement. The Chinese Ministry of Public Security’s Institute of Forensic Science and Aksu Huafu Textiles Co are to be sanctioned “for