After an uphill struggle, Israel withdrew a resolution on protecting Israeli children from terrorism, with its ambassador accusing the UN of hypocrisy, duplicity and double standards. \nAmbassador Dan Gillerman said on Wednesday amendments from Egypt and others in a General Assembly committee amounted to a "hostile takeover" of his draft resolution, subverting its purpose, shifting its focus and erasing every reference to Israeli children. \n"Today we put the United Nations to the ultimate moral test," Gillerman told a news conference. "It failed this litmus test miserably. This demonstrated just how far the hypocrisy, duplicity and double standard policy of the General Assembly and its committees go." \nAt issue was Israel's first introduction of a resolution since 1976, a draft condemning Palestinian suicide bombings against Israeli children. It was meant to mirror a resolution adopted last week by the panel 88 to four with 58 abstentions demanding protection for Palestinian children. \nAmendments proposed collectively by Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan and others would have substituted "Middle East" for "Israeli" children and inserted language condemning "foreign occupation" and "violation of international law." \nGillerman signaled that Israel, the target of hundreds of critical resolutions, was changing strategy and taking the offensive instead of just responding with speeches in the 191-member assembly that is traditionally sympathetic to the Palestinian cause. \n"Israel will no longer sit back and be the target of Israeli-bashing," he told reporters. "We will try to do things differently, much more proactive and even aggressive." \nNasser al-Kidwa, the Palestinian UN observer, in a separate news conference, called the Israeli draft an attempt to divert from the unique situation of Palestinian children. \nHe said Palestinian children were deprived of every right included in a 1990 UN treaty on the rights of the child beginning with the right of statehood up to the right of physical protection. \n"The case is broader and has no comparison with Israeli children," al Kidwa said. "That is why it did not have any chance. What we need is a different set of policies. We need to end Israeli occupation."
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses