A wily croc lurking in a Hong Kong swamp has eluded an Australian crocodile expert for the third day following a pre-dawn hunt yesterday.
John Lever arrived here this week and boasted to a local newspaper that he would just "walk in and grab" the 1.2m croc, which has outwitted officials for almost two weeks.
But the reptile has shown guile in evading Lever's bait traps and harpoon attempts.
Taking advantage of the low tide at the suburban swamp the croc calls home, Lever began his hunt early yesterday but wrapped up two hours later after he spotted the beast but failed to catch it, government spokeswoman Joyce Chan said.
The hunt will resume this morning, she said.
Government-owned radio RTHK said Lever tried to harpoon the croc but missed because it was too far away.
Lever has said he uses a special bamboo harpoon capable of capturing the animal without killing it, and expectations have been high that he would be able to land the reptile.
But some skepticism is setting in.
"Naughty croc gives Mr. Crocodile a major run-around again," read tabloid Apple Daily's front page headline yesterday.
Conservation official J.K. Chan urged patience. "Catching this croc requires persistence. Lever has this quality. We should give him more support and not put too much pressure on him," he said.
He added that the swamp's muddy waters and lights from nearby buildings had made Lever's task difficult. Lever said earlier that the crocodile could stay under the swampy the water for up to an hour.
While the croc remains at large, Lever has become a celebrity, with autograph-seekers mobbing him at the hunt scene. Lever's quest has fascinated Hong Kong's urbanites, who are more likely to come across crocs in nature books than in real life.
Journalists and onlookers have kept vigil at the swamp, following Lever's every move.
Crocodiles are not native to Hong Kong. Officials suspect the croc may be a runaway pet kept illegally or an escapee from a Chinese farm.
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference