The former butler of Britain's late princess Diana on Sunday refused to back down over the escalating row caused by sensational revelations he has made about her most intimate secrets.
In an interview with the BBC, Paul Burrell said he would like to give Princes William and Harry "a piece of his mind" and told them to "grow up," after they accused him last week of betraying them and their mother.
Burrell also claimed that the two, the only sons of Diana and heir to the British throne Prince Charles, were being exploited as "emotional cannons" by the "grey men in suits" at Buckingham Palace.
"I felt immediately that those boys were being manipulated and massaged by the system," he said, " ... by those people who did exactly the same to their mother," he said.
"I am angry with them," he added.
In The Sunday Times, Burrell warned that his revelation that Diana suspected a plot to have her killed months before her actual death was just the "tip of the iceberg" and that he was prepared to reveal even more explosive secrets.
Burrell's vow came after Diana's sons launched an unprecedented attack on Burrell, accusing him of a "cold and overt betrayal" of their mother in his new book.
In his interview with the BBC, the former royal butler said that he would have been prepared to halt publication of the book if the two princes had asked him to do so.
"Just one telephone call would have stopped it, one," he said.
Princes William, 21, and Harry, 19, said last Friday that Diana, who died in a 1997 car crash in Paris, would have been mortified at his string of revelations, which also included details about her lovers.
But Burrell insists he has done nothing wrong.
"I know where the boundary is and I do not cross that line. Anything I reveal is to illustrate a fact. Other books have been rather sad betrayals," Burrell told The Sunday Times.
Burrell's revelations were disclosed last week in Britain's Daily Mirror tabloid and are to be expanded in his book, A Royal Duty, which was to go on sale yesterday.
Henry Tong (湯偉雄) and Elaine To (杜依蘭) were preparing to spend their first wedding anniversary in separate prison cells until their acquittal for rioting during Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests. There were gasps and tears of relief in court on Friday last week as a judge declared prosecutors had failed to prove that the couple took part in clashes with police in July last year. The pair walked free in a ruling that has potential consequences for hundreds of other protesters facing similar charges. However, they have a long journey ahead as they try to rebuild their lives and business. “We have already been punished,”
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable