Australia launched a public recruitment drive for more than 300 elite commando and special forces troops yesterday to further bolster its defense and help meet commitments to the US-led war on terror.
The break with tradition of only recruiting elite soldiers from within defense ranks was necessary to fill 334 extra commando places announced by the government earlier in the year, Special Operations Commander Major-General Duncan Lewis said.
Australia has about 2,000 special forces troops, which were deployed in the early stages of the US-led offensives in Afghanistan and Iraq, winning high praise from US commanders for their ability to operate undetected behind enemy lines.
"We are after young men, fit, bright ... who can commit to a cause, because the cause we are asking them to commit to is a serious one. It is the security of this country," Lewis told reporters at Sydney's Garden Island naval base.
To launch the recruitment drive, commandos, usually reluctant to be photographed or filmed, parachuted into Sydney Harbor, rappelled from Black Hawk helicopters and clambered ashore onto a rocky point, all before television news cameras.
Lewis said recruits, aged 19 to 30, would undergo accelerated training, with those successful taking around 18 months to reach the elite level where they may see military action.
Those recruited from the public will undergo seven weeks basic army training, 12 weeks infantry training and eight weeks accelerated training merely to reach the stage where they will be tested to see if they are ready for Special Forces training.
The Special Forces Barrier test involves a four-hour march with a 28kg pack and weapon, a 3.2km run with pack and weapon, a 400m swim in 18 minutes in combat uniform, a 10-hour endurance navigation test and theory tests on weapons and mechanics.
If recruits pass the entry test they will face six months training, involving parachuting, rappelling and patrolling, before selection as a commando or possibly into the Special Air Service Regiment (SASR) based in Perth.
An advertisement announcing the recruitment drive warned: "The failure rate throughout the entire selection process is high." If successful, recruits can expect a special forces wage of A$64,000 (US$44,140) a year.
Lewis said he expected the bulk of commandos and special forces would still be recruited from the army, navy and air force.
"This direct recruitment from the community will only gather one-quarter to one-third of our needs," he said.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses