One of Europe's most significant terrorism trials since Sept. 11 ended in Belgium on Tuesday when a disciple of Osama bin Laden was jailed for 10 years for plotting a suicide bomb attack on a US military base. \nThe Brussels court found 18 Islamist extremists guilty of a range of terror-related offences -- Belgium has no specific anti-terrorism law -- including recruiting young men to help wage a Taliban-inspired jihad against the west in Afghanistan. \nIt acquitted five of the 23 defendants of all charges. \nNizar Trabelsi, 33, a Tunisian who spent several years as a minor league professional footballer in Germany and smiled and joked throughout the proceedings, admitting meeting the al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden several times. \nThe court found that he had accepted direct orders from Bin Laden -- whom he regarded as his "father" -- to carry out a suicide bomb attack on the Belgian air force base at Kleine Brogel, which is used by the US and is believed to stock nuclear weapons. \nWhen the police arrested him two days after the Sept. 11 attacks they found an Uzi sub-machinegun in his Brussels flat and a bomb-making recipe identical to that used in the 1998 bombings of US embassy buildings in east Africa. \nSeveral key ingredients for a bomb were later found at his brother's property in central Brussels. \nTrabelsi later admitted planning an attack, saying that he intended to drive a lorry full of explosives into the base's canteen, where up to 110 servicemen and women eat each day. \nHe told the court that he had intended to kill American soldiers, not to detonate the US base's nuclear warheads. \nHe said he had decided to become a martyr to Islam after seeing pictures of a Palestinian baby girl who was killed in the Gaza Strip in 2001. \nThe presiding judge, Claire Degryse, said that the attack, if carried out, would have been a disaster. \n"Everything points to the fact that on the evening before his arrest he was determined to carry out this project," she said. "He tried to commit one of the most heinous crimes Belgium has ever known since its independence [in 1830]. \n"You shudder when you think about what would have happened in Belgium if this attack had been carried out," Degryse said. "While Bin Laden was preparing for attacks on the United States, Trabelsi with others was preparing and looking for explosives in Europe." \nTrabelsi's accomplice and "zealous lieutenant" Abdelcrim el-Haddouti was sentenced to five years for supplying bomb-making chemicals. \nTarek Maaroufi, 37, who was said to be the "backbone" of al-Qaeda recruitment in Belgium, and possibly Europe too, was jailed for six years. \nMaaroufi, of Tunisian origin like Trabelsi, was found guilty of recruiting for terror training in Afghanistan and and of procuring false Belgian passports for two men who posed as journalists to kill Ahmed Shah Massoud, leader of the anti-Taliban Northern Alliance, two days before the Sept. 11 attacks on the US.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses