A controversial security fence under construction in the West Bank is a "necessity," a senior Israeli official insisted yesterday after US President George W. Bush described it as a "problem" in landmark talks with Palestinian prime minister Mahmud Abbas. \n"The building of this security fence has no political connotations. It's a necessity dictated by the security imperative of preventing Palestinian suicide bombings against Israel," the official said, asking not to be named. \nBush had criticized the fence, which Israel started building in June last year, in a joint news conference with Abbas in the White House Rose Garden late on Friday. \n"I think the wall is a problem, and I have discussed this with [Israeli Prime Minister] Ariel Sharon," he said. \n"It is very difficult to develop confidence between the Palestinians and the Israelis ... with a wall snaking through the West Bank," Bush said. \nThe Israeli official took issue with Bush's use of the word "wall" even though the barrier does take that form for part of its length. \n"It is a shame that President Bush did not use the correct term security fence," the official said. \n"Israel is not constructing a wall -- it's the Palestinians who use that term in a bid to persuade the world it's some sort of Berlin Wall. \n"This fence is a necessity and not a choice. Mr Sharon will explain that to President Bush when he meets him" in the White House on Tuesday, the official said, noting that in the past the US leader had "always championed Israel's right to defend itself." \nEventually expected to snake some 900km along the West Bank, the security fence has infuriated Palestinians as it leaves large swathes of the territory on the Israeli side and is seen as a bid to preempt negotiations on the final borders of the Palestinian state promised by 2005 under a US-backed peace roadmap. \nThe fence, which incorporates a network of earthworks, trenches and patrol roads, also cuts a whole string of Palestinian communities in two. \nSharon promised to review the impact on ordinary Palestinians as part of a series of measures announced just hours before Bush's talks with Abbas. \nThe prime minister "will consider ways to reduce, by as much as possible, infringements by the security fence on the Palestinian populations daily lives," his office said. \nMeanwhile, Sharon is to ask his cabinet today to approve the release of 100 jailed members of Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, public radio said. \nSharon hopes ministers will give their green light before he leaves for the US today, so that he can convince Washington he is serious about building confidence in the fledgling peace process and bolstering the position of Palestinian prime minister Mahmud Abbas, the radio said. \nThe 100 Hamas and Islamic Jihad members slated for release have not been involved in attacks that claimed Israeli victims, the radio added. \nThe question of Palestinian prisoners has proved a major stumbling block in efforts to advance the roadmap.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against