The government of Argentina annulled a decree on Friday prohibiting the extradition of Argentines suspected of torture or murder in the 1976-83 "Dirty War," a landmark move that could lead to dozens of officers and former junta leaders being tried abroad. \nNewly elected President Nestor Kirchner, himself briefly detained during the military dictatorship, signed the order after returning from a state visit to the US. \nThe move came a day after an Argentine judge rocked the military establishment by ordering the arrest of 45 military officials and one civilian at the request of a Spanish judge who charged them with murders of Spanish citizens during the dictatorship. \nThe orders, which include several elderly and ill former junta leaders already detained on other rights charges, allows Spanish Judge Baltasar Garzon to request the extraditions. Up to 30,000 leftist opponents died during the Dirty War. \nKirchner came to power in May promising to end a "culture of impunity" that he said stained 20 years of democracy. Since then, legal moves against the military men, who still enjoy some legal protection due to amnesty laws in force, snowballed. \nThe arrest orders include 1976 coup leader Jorge Videla and Emilio Massera, head of the Naval School of Mechanics, which was known as a torture center. Videla is under arrest on other charges and Massera is incapacitated after a stroke. \nFormer naval captain Alfredo Astiz, known as the "blond angel of death" for the death squad he ran, was also detained, court officials said. French courts sentenced Astiz in absentia to life imprisonment for the murder of two French nuns. \nCourts must still rule on a case-by-case basis whether to extradite officials. Amnesty laws for officials involved in crimes during the dictatorship are in force but lower courts have gradually been striking them down. \nThe Supreme Court is expected to take up the issue and legal and rights experts say there could be a long road ahead before officials arrive handcuffed at a Spanish airport. \n"It's progress on the road to justice, to truth, the end of impunity. But I think there is still a long and winding road ahead in spite of this," said Rosa Roisinblit, a leader of Plaza de Mayo grandmothers, an organization that represents victims families. \nA military official shot himself in the mouth in a suicide attempt after learning he was among the suspects ordered to be arrested by judge Rodolfo Canicoba Corral. Naval officer Juan Antonio Azic is in critical condition. \nAt least 40 other officers, including an elected mayor, were detained by authorities on Friday. One civilian was also detained. \nThe armed forces, reorganized by Kirchner just after he came to power, have ordered officials to obey the courts. \nGarzon's probe stemmed from the deaths or disappearances of several hundred Spaniards during military rule in Argentina. Garzon is famous for his ultimately unsuccessful legal crusade against former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet. \nA former Argentine naval officer was extradited from Mexico last month to be charged in a Spanish court with acts of terrorism and genocide during the military government. \nKirchner's decision will fortify the image a new president increasingly popular at home for shaking up the military top brass and crusading against judges he accused of corruption.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses