The Israeli and Palestinian prime ministers will meet on Sunday to start a week of focused Middle East diplomacy, Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said in an interview in Tel Aviv on Thursday.
Palestinian officials said the meeting might take place even sooner. Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas canceled a planned meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon of a week ago, when he came under fire from Palestinian President Yasser Arafat for botching negotiations with the Israelis.
But under pressure from Egypt, Abbas and Arafat have since reached a power-sharing agreement, and Arafat has reluctantly approved plans for Abbas to travel to Washington. Now, in his first such diplomatic venture as prime minister, Abbas plans to follow up his meeting with Sharon with visits to Egypt, Jordan and the Persian Gulf states, before flying to Washington for talks at the White House with US President George W. Bush on July 25.
Sharon will follow him to Washington for a meeting with Bush on July 29, said Shalom, who is to address the foreign ministers of the EU on Monday before heading to Washington for his own round of meetings with US Vice President Dick Cheney and others.
"Next week is going to be a very, very intensive political week," Shalom said.
In the interview, Shalom, a leader of Sharon's hawkish Likud Party, surveyed the peace effort and its impact on Israel's relations throughout the region, expressing a cautious optimism that a diplomatic logjam may be breaking.
"I'm very encouraged, I must tell you, much more than I was before," Shalom said, referring to the talks with Abbas and his allies. "I believe that this new leadership, that speaks differently -- it might be that they mean differently." But he said Abbas had to take action to break apart militant groups like Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which he said were using this period of relative calm to rebuild.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting