US-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) yesterday urged the Cambodian government to suspend officials found using threats and intimidation in order to secure votes in the upcoming national polls. \nThe rights watchdog said village and commune chiefs, nearly all representatives of the ruling Cambodian People's Party (CPP), were threatening supporters of opposition parties "with violence, expulsion from their village and denial of access to community resources." \n"Threats range from being rejected for village rice distribution to having land confiscated for voting for the opposition. Intimidation is directed at political party members, local activists and voters," HRW senior legal adviser James Ross said in a statement \n"While the ruling CPP has used violence in previous elections, in the current campaign it appears to have chosen a more subtle strategy to coerce villagers from voting for their preference," he said. \nHe added Cambodia must "swiftly suspend officials who are responsible for such threats and election-law violations." \nTwenty-two political parties will contest the July 27 Cambodian polls amid intense international pressure on the government to deliver free and fair elections. \nSince the official campaign began on June 26, authorities and independent election monitors have singled out eight killings where evidence suggested the motive was political and further investigations were warranted. \nWhile the killings were significant, local and international observers say there has been much less violence in this campaign when compared with the killings which marred the lead-up to last year's local district elections. \n"There does appear to be a welcome decrease in the levels of overt political violence," Ross said. \nBut he added this did necessarily translate into greater respect for basic civil and political rights. \nHe said a vote-buying campaign in the northwestern town of Siem Reap had forced villages into renouncing support for other parties in return for cash. If the CPP loses, the cash has to be repaid. \nAnother wave of intimidation was launched against the opposition Sam Rainsy Party in central Kompong Cham province.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of