The Philippine government and Muslim separatist rebels yesterday agreed on a ceasefire, paving the way for the resumption of peace talks in Malaysia next week, President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo said.
Arroyo said arrest warrants against key leaders of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) have also been lifted by a court in the southern City of Davao, while bounties offered for their capture were lifted by the government.
"Safe conduct passes shall be issued so that they can travel to the venue of the negotiations," she said in a statement.
Arroyo ordered the military to "downgrade our operational status from punitive operations to active defense" against the MILF.
Malaysia was expected to send a team to monitor the implementation of the ceasefire.
Arroyo said the "breakthrough," which removes all technical obstacles to the resumption of formal negotiations with the MILF, was the result of "the relentless back-channeling efforts undertaken by government representatives over several months."
"I call on the panel to immediately enter in formal talks towards a final peace agreement," she added. "Peace is at hand. We shall forge the political will to preserve it for all generations of Filipinos."
The arrest warrants were issued against key MILF leaders, including the group's chairman Salamat Hashim, in connection with bomb attacks earlier in the year in the southern cities of Davao and General Santos, which killed 50 people.
The MILF, however, has vehemently denied involvement in the terror attacks which also injured more than 200 people.
Malaysia, which is hosting the peace talks between the MILF and the Philippine government, has stressed the need to lift the arrest warrants to allow rebel negotiators to freely travel to Kuala Lumpur for the negotiations.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses