Taiwan state utility firm Taiwan Power Co (Taipower,
A Taipower official, who attributed the failure of the NT$400 billion tender to a low number of bids, said the firm may adjust conditions set in its invitation-to-bid (ITB) document and will invite bids again in the near future.
"The law requires at least three applicants for the tender, but only two submitted bids" said the official, who declined to be identified.
"A second invitation to bid will be announced in the coming weeks.
Tentatively, we hope to have the next submission period end and examination of bids carried out in June," he said.
Taipower initially planned to announce the winner of the contract on Nov. 30, but postponed the deadline to January 15 due to some adjustments in the tender documents.
According to market insiders, during the long submission period, several foreign oil companies including Exxon Mobil, Shell Co., and French Total FinalElf, which had formed a bidding group with Asia Cement (
In addition, Pacific Construction (
In the letter, the LNG supply was to be originated from Indonesia's Tangguh Project gas field.
Sources familiar with the bidding said that despite having gone through a few adjustments, conditions set in the ITB were very unfavorable for interested suppliers and diverged considerably from international standards and practices.
"If the conditions aren't adjusted again, I believe it's almost certain that none of the foreign companies will consider bidding in the next round," a source said.
In a meeting with Economics minister Lin Hsin-yi (林信義) yesterday, some US firms have complained that conditions stated in the Tatan power plant tender were discriminatory against foreign firms -- saying firms interested in the project are subject to paying compensation to Taipower if they were unable to deliver the gas on time.
Dignitaries from 47 countries yesterday congratulated President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on the commencement of her second term and highlighted Taiwan’s achievements in democracy and its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sent his congratulations a day earlier. As of noon yesterday, 263 high-ranking officials from 47 countries and global organizations had congratulated Tsai via statements, letters, social media posts or recorded footage, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, while releasing a collection of footage sent by selected dignitaries. The governments of Taiwan’s 15 diplomatic allies sent their congratulations, as did the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy,
REASSURING NUMBERS: Taiwan’s test capacity ranks sixth or seventh among 91 nations, and is not low compared with other nations, Chen Shih-chung said The quarantine period for foreigners visiting Taiwan for business would vary based on the COVID-19 situation of the nation or territory that they are coming from, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported the 13th consecutive day of no new cases. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, told reporters at the center’s daily briefing that modified rules covering foreign business visitors had been completed and were ready for him to sign. The complete details of the new rules would be released later this week, he said. Foreigners on long business trips would have
IN PROTEST: The US’ top diplomat said the WHA had been deprived of Taiwan’s scientific expertise, while Tsai said political factors should not be put above health US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo on Monday condemned Taiwan’s exclusion from the World Health Assembly (WHA), while President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday lodged a strong protest against the WHO for not inviting Taiwan. Twenty-two nations voiced support for Taiwan’s bid for participation on the first day of the assembly’s two-day virtual meeting, but despite the global community’s unprecedentedly strong support for Taiwan, it remained blocked from the assembly, with WHO member states on Monday agreeing to delay discussion on Taiwan until later this year. Pompeo, who on May 6 urged WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to invite Taiwan to the WHA,
The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced no new cases of COVID-19, adding that a ban on mask exports would be lifted soon under three conditions. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that 401 people from among the nation’s 440 confirmed cases have been removed from isolation. Yesterday was the 12th consecutive day that no new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Taiwan, and the 37th day of no new domestic cases. “As our local communities have gradually become safe, we should not become careless,” Chen said. “We should continue to take personal protective measures