Hung family fear telephones may have been bugged

By Rich Chang  /  Staff reporter

Wed, Jul 31, 2013 - Page 3

The family of army corporal Hung Chung-chiu (洪仲丘), who died under mysterious circumstances earlier this month, said yesterday that they are worried their phones may have been wiretapped.

“Recently my cellphone has been behaving oddly. It easily gets cut off and there is an echo. Our family members are afraid,” said Hung’s sister, Hung Tzu-yung (洪慈庸).

She said her family’s attorneys had experienced similar problems.

“However, we cannot prove whether or not our phones have been wiretapped,” she said.

Local media reported that the military’s Information and Electronic Warfare Command had produced teaching material for personnel using Hung’s case as an example.

Reports said that in the material, a solider nicknamed “Little Chiu” (小丘) — an alleged reference to Hung Chung-chiu — liked to “argue” about his unit’s operations, stirring the resentment of his superiors.

Because Little Chiu brought a smartphone into his unit, his superiors took the chance to place him in confinement a few days before he was set to be discharged, reports said.

His superiors asked confinement supervisors to force Little Chiu to undertake strenuous exercises.

In the end, the solider collapsed and died of heatstroke.

Concerning the material, Hung Tzu-yung said she had seen it online, adding that as a family member of the victim, she felt pain and thought it is was inappropriate and unfair.

She said the material does not teach a soldier what to do in the event of abuse. In addition, the full facts of the case have yet to be established, she added.

The Information and Electronic Warfare Command responded that the public should not “read too much into” the education material, and said it had been dropped.

Hung died on July 4, following physical exercises he had been forced to do as part of his punishment while confined to detention barracks.

He was to be discharged from the military on July 6.