Former gang leader Chang An-le (張安樂), also known as the “White Wolf,” yesterday said that he had not made any deal with judicial authorities for his return to Taiwan.
The Ministry of Justice was criticized by the media, as well as the opposition parties, for releasing Chang on NT$1 million (US$32,900) bail a few hours after his return to Taiwan from China on Saturday after 17 years on the run, saying the judicial authorities might have made a deal with him ahead of his return.
“If there really was a deal, it would be revealed sooner or later because the process of negotiation, records of meetings and could be traced,” said Chang, who went to Dalongdong Baoan Temple in Taipei yesterday.
“A middle man came to me and wanted to negotiate my return, but I said I could not do it,” Chang said.
Police handcuffed the 65-year-old as soon as he stepped off an Air China plane on Saturday afternoon at Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport), where nearly 600 officers had been waiting for him for hours.
Chang carried a leaflet advocating “peaceful unification” and “one country, two systems” while being escorted by policemen through security inspections at the airport and as he was entering the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office.
“It is a deal, isn’t it,” Chang was heard telling police officers as he tried to hold the leaflet up in front of reporters, despite his handcuffs.
The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) criticized the government for allowing Chang’s high-profile return and added that the process was arranged between Chang and the government.
Chang, who had been on the nation’s most-wanted list for alleged violations of the Organized Crime Prevention Act (組織犯罪防制條例) since fleeing to China in 1996, was barred from leaving Taiwan by the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office.