Taoyuan prosecutors on Friday said that they intend to charge the owner of a buxiban (cram school) with offenses against privacy, after students found a pinhole camera installed in the women’s washroom ceiling.
Three students filed complaints with local police against the man, surnamed Lin (林), who is the proprietor and head administrator of a Taoyuan cram school for high-school students preparing to pass their university entrance exams.
One student told police that she had found something strange in the ceiling of a toilet stall at the school and called a teacher.
The teacher pried open the ceiling panel and found a pinhole camera attached to a 40 gigabyte storage device, and then went to a computer shop to decode it and download the files, police said.
The teacher told police that they were shocked to find thousands of pictures and videos of students and teachers using the toilet over what appeared to be the past five years.
The teacher said that they confronted Lin, who admitted to having installed the pinhole camera, police said.
The teacher said that Lin told them that he had at first put the camera in the washroom because he was infatuated with a female student and wanted to have a good look at her, since she refused to go on a date with him.
Police said they have confiscated Lin’s personal computer and photography equipment, on which they found more pictures and videos.
A Taipei veterinarian is urging pet owners to avoid using insecticides around their homes, as their ingredients can be toxic to pets. Commercial-grade insecticides contain pyrethroids — organic compounds similar to natural pyrethrins, pesticides produced by flowers such as chrysanthemums — in quantities that are harmless to humans, but potentially fatal to cats and dogs, Asian Veterinary Specialist Referral Center veterinarian Chua Man-ling (蔡曼琳) said. Even in small quantities, pyrethroids are hazardous to cats, as they lack the metabolic enzymes needed to process them, Chua said. Cockroach sprays and ant traps are especially dangerous to pets as they contain boric acid, she
People should avoid eating too many zongzi (粽子, glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo leaves), as consuming several in one meal could cause indigestion, bloating, gastric acid reflux, heartburn and other stomach ailments, a doctor said on Saturday. Zongzi is a traditional delicacy for the Dragon Boat Festival, which was on Thursday. Citing a recent case as an example, Cathay General Hospital gastroenterology department head Chu Yu-ming (朱淯銘) said that a 58-year-old taxi driver surnamed Hsiao (蕭) ate meals at irregular hours due to his work and has been taking diabetes medicine for three years. Hsiao recently bought a bag of zongzi and ate
While stereotypically considered a household pest that simply will not die, Hung Ting-yang’s (洪鼎揚) experience with Archimandrita tesselata, commonly called the peppered roach, might change a person’s mind. The peppered roach originates in South America, is omnivorous and, as it is capable of growing to 7cm to 9cm long, is a giant compared with other roaches, which have an average length of about 4cm. The peppered roach goes through six separate chrysalis stages and takes nine months to reach full maturity. Mature roaches have wings, but cannot fly and can only glide. They have an average lifespan of three years. As his
The EU’s list of safe nations to which it would reopen borders next week does not include Taiwan, but the Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday said the list has not been finalized and some EU countries have highlighted the importance of “reciprocity.” The provisional list comprises Algeria, Andorra, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, San Marino, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay and the Vatican, the New York Times reported on Friday. The EU said it would add China, considered one of the “acceptable countries,” if it also opens its borders to EU travelers, the newspaper reported. Backed by