The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office yesterday said it would not prosecute a 52-year-old woman suspected of killing her 80-year-old mother-in-law last year, adding that she was diagnosed with schizophrenia after a psychological evaluation and that the condition prevented her from distinguishing right from wrong at the time of the murder.
The defendant, surnamed Chang (張), on March 17 last year was preparing food at the family-owned noodle store with her mother-in-law, surnamed Cheng (程), when she attacked Cheng with a kitchen knife, prosecutors said.
Chang told her husband about the attack and Cheng was rushed to hospital, but did not survive, prosecutors said.
Medical records showed that Chang visited a local hospital a day before the attack to see help for her condition, which doctors suspected was depression, prosecutors said, adding that Chang also allegedly told her neighbors that she had had suicidal thoughts and the urge to choke people.
Neighbors also said that Cheng had mentioned in passing that her daughter-in-law was acting strange and was having radical mood swings, prosecutors said.
However, the neighbors expressed disbelief at the thought that Chang would commit such an act, as the family was extremely close and often traveled together, prosecutors said.
After questioning Chang last year, prosecutors set bail at NT$150,000, on the condition that she undergo mandatory treatment as required by the Mental Health Act (精神衛生法).
Chang was diagnosed with schizophrenia during the investigation and doctors said that she was unaware of her actions at the time of the homicide, prosecutors said.
As Chang was unaware of her actions and did not intend to commit a crime, the prosecutors decided not to indict her, they said.
A Taipei veterinarian is urging pet owners to avoid using insecticides around their homes, as their ingredients can be toxic to pets. Commercial-grade insecticides contain pyrethroids — organic compounds similar to natural pyrethrins, pesticides produced by flowers such as chrysanthemums — in quantities that are harmless to humans, but potentially fatal to cats and dogs, Asian Veterinary Specialist Referral Center veterinarian Chua Man-ling (蔡曼琳) said. Even in small quantities, pyrethroids are hazardous to cats, as they lack the metabolic enzymes needed to process them, Chua said. Cockroach sprays and ant traps are especially dangerous to pets as they contain boric acid, she
People should avoid eating too many zongzi (粽子, glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo leaves), as consuming several in one meal could cause indigestion, bloating, gastric acid reflux, heartburn and other stomach ailments, a doctor said on Saturday. Zongzi is a traditional delicacy for the Dragon Boat Festival, which was on Thursday. Citing a recent case as an example, Cathay General Hospital gastroenterology department head Chu Yu-ming (朱淯銘) said that a 58-year-old taxi driver surnamed Hsiao (蕭) ate meals at irregular hours due to his work and has been taking diabetes medicine for three years. Hsiao recently bought a bag of zongzi and ate
DREAMING OF TRAVEL: About 7,000 people applied for the experience, with about 60 chosen for the first flight yesterday, which includes boarding an airplane Starved of the travel experience during COVID-19? Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) has the solution — a fake itinerary where you check in, go through passport control and security, and even board the aircraft. You just never leave. The airport yesterday began offering travelers the chance to do just that, with about 60 people eager to get going, albeit to nowhere. About 7,000 people applied to take part, with the winners chosen by random. More fake flight experiences are to take place in the coming weeks. “I really want to leave the country, but because of the pandemic, lots of flights cannot fly,”
A DEPRIVATION? The Taiwan Higher Education Union said the program, which drew much student criticism, undermined students' right to an education The Taiwan Higher Education Union on Monday accused Ming Chuan University (MCU) of sacrificing its students’ right to education by altering the English-language instruction for first-year students. The university, which has long emphasized the value that it places on English-language education, in the 2019-2020 academic year changed its English program for first-year students to a combination of self-learning through online videos and weekly lab sessions, during which students would take online tests, the union said. The change has deprived more than 3,000 students of in-person instruction and of interaction with their teachers, the union added. The online program drew much criticism from students