The Taipei City Government yesterday approved 17 of the 28 work items Farglory Group said it wants to carry out at the Taipei Dome complex to resolve public safety risks, while rejecting nine and accepting two conditionally.
The Taipei Department of Urban Development made the announcement following a two-hour meeting with Farglory representatives and members of the city’s structural architecture, civil engineering, structural engineering and geotechnical engineering unions.
Farglory last week delivered the list of work items to the municipal government in the hope of addressing safety concerns outlined in a ruling by the High Administrative Court in Taipei.
Department Commissioner Lin Jou-min (林洲民) said yesterday’s discussions had a “positive” and “rational” undercurrent.
However, participants sparred over the necessity of completing the Dome’s curtain wall, proposed by the firm to resolve weighting and corrosion issues.
Lin said Farglory representatives believed the work to be necessary to increase the facility’s mass, but added that department officials and union members disagreed.
Lin said that corrosion in the Dome’s exterior could be fixed by applying intumescent paint, adding that if Farglory insists on working on the wall, it should provide scientific proof that doing so would help resolve the weighting issue.
Farglory’s proposals to install titanium panels on the Dome’s roof and complete work in a underground parking area connecting all five buildings in the complex were granted conditional approval.
Citing the city’s July 19 suggestion to Farglory, Lin said that the firm should convert the Dome’s first and second floors into semi-open areas to facilitate evacuation in the event of an emergency.
Therefore, the city only agreed to let Farglory install titanium panels on levels higher than the second floor in areas above the Dome’s ring, he said.
The firm should not work on staircases in the parking area, because the city is still determining how many stairs there should be in the area to ensure safety, he said.
Lin urged Farglory to swiftly deliver a detailed work plan to the city for review, adding that to speed up the review process, the firm is encouraged to send the plan in several parts instead of waiting several months to complete it before submission.
Farglory spokesman Jacky Yang (楊舜欽) echoed Lin’s suggestion that breaking the plan down into several pieces would help the review process, adding that the firm would comply with the city’s order that it submit a work plan.
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,