A report by information technology security firm Trend Micro Inc said that 87 percent of all Pokemon Go-related apps on Google Play are malware, including “impostor” Pokemon Go games made by hackers that are designed to sell unwanted merchandise or compromise user data.
The Trend Micro report, published on Monday, on apps available on Google Play said that there were 149 Pokemon Go-related apps available in Taiwan’s regional app store between July 8 and July 24, with more than 3.9 million downloads.
However, 87 percent of the apps contain malware, the report said.
Micro Trend senior consultant Chien Sheng-tsai (簡勝財) said that a majority of the malware apps use false advertisements to deceive users into downloading them for the purpose of selling merchandise unrelated to Pokemon Go, while a smaller number would install “Trojan” programs to enable remote control of the device or data theft.
Users should download Pokemon Go and other apps from authorized developers, not from dubious sources claiming to have free-to-download content or hacked versions of software, Chien said.
Chien said caution is needed when using the location-based augmented-reality app.
“GPS-based games have this kind of risk and players who are concerned about compromising their location data should turn off GPS navigation on their devices,” Chien said.
“However, since Pokemon Go requires constant GPS service for game play, people should be more cautious if they want to play it,” Chien said when asked whether such apps could affect privacy by revealing their location and habitual routes.
Information technology security firm Devcore Inc chief executive officer Allen Own (翁浩正) said that the majority of Pokemon Go-related malware downloads in Taiwan are likely to have occurred because players wanted a copy of the game before its release in the nation and were deceived by fakes.
All apps can potentially compromise personal data and users should adopt safety precautions in their everyday use of information technology to protect the information stored on apps and games such as Pokemon Go, Own said.
The Health Promotion Administration on Sunday issued a statement calling on gamers to refrain from playing in or near dangerous areas, such as roads, railways and aviation zones; using devices in hot weather or low light; playing the game alone; or losing situational awareness.
Every 30 minutes of eye use with devices should be followed by 10 minutes of rest, while sunglasses should be worn from 10am to 2pm to protect the eyes from sunlight, the Ministry of Health and
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,