The Taipei Water Department yesterday said that it had deployed 120 water stations at public schools across the city that can be used by residents if water supplies are cut off during Typhoon Nepartak.
The water stations have been deployed at elementary and junior-high schools within 1km of residential areas, allowing residents to access potable water if the mains are switched off because water turbidity levels exceed 12,000 nephelometric turbidity units (NTU), Department Commissioner Chen Chin-hsiang (陳錦祥) said, adding that stations are available in about 90 percent of Taipei.
People are advised to replenish water tanks at their homes and use water sparingly during the typhoon, Chen said.
Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) said that with the advent of the city’s typhoon water rationing rules — established last year after Typhoon Soudelor struck in August — city residents will “definitely” not be served turbid water this time.
“The water purification plants are to stop pumping water once turbidity reaches 12,000 NTU. How could there be murky water?” he said.
Ko underlined the importance of a planned pipeline connecting the Zhihtan Water Purification Plant in New Taipei City’s Sindian District (新店) and the Feitsui Reservoir, which is scheduled to be completed in 2023 at the earliest.
The pipeline would supply water from the reservoir directly to the purification plant before it is distributed to the Greater Taipei area, so that water supplies would not be disrupted after the plant stops tapping water from the Nanshih River (南勢溪), which is prone to turn muddy during heavy rainfall.
The pipelineis estimated to cost NT$2 billion (US$61.7 million).
Asked by reporters whether he is concerned about the suspended Taipei Dome construction site causing casualties during Nepartak, Ko said that contractor Farglory Group should assume full responsibility for maintaining its property.
The Taipei Construction Management Office said that it had asked Farglory to heed the Building Act (建築法) and put in place typhoon-damage prevention measures at the site.
‘CROCODILE TEARS’: The Taiwan Statebuilding Party said the Kaohsiung mayor was only apologizing after a poll revealed that 45% of the city’s residents favored a recall Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) at a city council session yesterday apologized for taking three months off last year to campaign for January’s presidential election. Han said that he was now prioritizing municipal affairs and was focused primarily on preventing the spread of COVID-19. He was “doing two days’ work each day” to make up for time lost, he said. Han on May 5 attended a city council session for the first time in 201 days, giving a report on pandemic response measures. At yesterday’s session, Han said the Kaohsiung City Government would be injecting NT$50 million (US$1.67 million) into the
Taipei City Councilor Wu Pei-yi (吳沛憶) on Saturday urged the Taipei Department of Cultural Affairs to designate the Japanese colonial-era Showa Building (昭和樓) a cultural heritage site to protect it from being demolished. Wu made the remarks after the department on Tuesday last week visited the building to evaluate it for preservation, a standard procedure before a public building that is more than 50 years old is razed. The Showa Building, on Zhongxiao E Road Sec 2, was a rare kind of office building when it was constructed in 1942, Wu said. The three-story building was built with reinforced concrete and has European-style
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to