Some of the New Year’s Eve celebration parties held across the nation ended in blazes, prompting police and judicial officials to launch investigations into three cases of alleged unlicensed use of fireworks and other items.
An explosion happened in the early hours of Friday as a New Year’s party was coming to an end at the Kaohsiung Dream Mall.
Witnesses said that a partygoer fired incendiary flares close to the crowd and one flare exploded into a fireball just outside the plaza.
The explosion caused minor panic, as people ran to get away from the scene, while police records showed that there were no serious injuries.
Witnesses said that the flares flew right over people’s heads, with the explosion happening right outside the gathering.
Police said they are reviewing footage from surveillance cameras and gathering evidence to find the perpetrators.
Police found three flare cartridges that are commonly used by fishermen in an inspection of the scene, Kaohsiung police captain Wang Chun-sheng (王春生) said.
“The signal flares can be bought at fishery supply stores. However, they are dangerous and can cause injuries if not handled properly,” Wang said. “If someone deliberately shoots flares at people, they can be charged with offenses against public safety.”
Meanwhile, several people were injured at a party in Tainan when pyrotechnic equipment fell on the revelers, police said.
One woman was hit on the head, sustaining a gash and minor burns, and was rushed to a local hospital for treatment, police said.
Tainan City police officials said that the incident was caused by a flaming firecracker that failed to go off and fell on the crowd.
An investigation was launched to find out who is responsible for the incident, as using that type of firecracker, which does not conform with the Firework and Firecracker Management Act (爆竹煙火管理條例), was not a part of the event’s pyrotechnics show, police said.
In a separate incident, a coastal scenic lookout station made of wood was burned to the ground in Yilan County.
Firefighters responded to a call from Nanfangao (南方澳) in the early hours of Friday.
They arrived to find the observation station in blazes, which eventually consumed and destroyed the entire structure.
Fire investigators said it was likely that people who were celebrating the New Year on the beach set off fireworks and accidentally set the lookout station on fire, as various types of firecrackers and pyrotechnics equipment were found at the site.
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,