A controversial new policy to release convicted drunk drivers upon paying their fines, currently implemented by judicial agencies in central Taiwan, has been widely criticized by the public and led to disagreements among government officials.
On Friday, it was reported that Taichung District Prosecutors’ Office had earlier this year decided to ease up on the “three strikes law” with the release of more than 300 repeat drunk drivers from the Taichung Prison.
The decision was made in response to prison overcrowding, which has exceeded capacity and depleting the resources of correctional facilities, Taichung prosecutors said.
Taichung Prison, administered under the Ministry of Justice’s (MOJ) Agency of Corrections, has space for 1,076 inmates, but it currently holds about 5,500, Warden Huang Wei-hsien (黃維賢) said.
The increase was attributed to the increased of spot checks cracking down on drink driving in recent years, which led to an upsurge in convictions, as ministry statistics indicated that 6,384 new inmates were serving sentences for violating public safety in 2012, with about 90 percent involving repeat offenders.
The figure increased to 7,585 new inmates in 2013, and to 11,068 last year on convictions of violating public safety, which accounted for about 30 percent of prisoners nationwide.
Judicial agencies in Taipei, New Taipei City, Tainan and Kaohsiung disapproved of the Taichung prosecutors’ policy, and said they will not be lenient on drunk-drivers and have no plan to release them before finishing their sentences, despite these cities also having prison overcrowding problems.
In response to the report, Minister of the Interior Chen Wei-zen (陳威仁) expressed concern yesterday that lighter penalties with options of commuting sentences by paying fines for repeat drunk-driving might undermine government efforts to crack down on such offenses.
The law states that a prison sentence of less than six months can be commuted to a fine.
However, people convicted of three drunk driving offenses within five years face a prison sentence on their third conviction — also known as the “three strikes law”— without the option of a fine, under a ministry policy introduced in 2013.
Chen said he was very worried about a possible upswing of drink- driving cases if repeat offenders were allowed to pay a fine instead of serving a prison sentence.
Sending repeat offenders to prison is an effective way to deter drink-driving because many people are not worried about paying fines, but are afraid to go to prison, he said.
The Ministry of the Interior hopes to discuss the issue with MOJ to see how best to strike a balance in implementing the relevant regulations, Chen added.
Additional reporting by CNA
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: