Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) yesterday said that up to 100 million tonnes of water had been discharged from the Feitsui Reservoir (翡翠水庫) to dilute turbid water in the Nanshih River (南勢溪) in the wake of recent typhoons.
Ko said the quantities of water used for dilution indicate there is a serious problem and that he would ask the Taipei Water Department to deliver a report on the turbidity of raw water to the Executive Yuan, so that measures can be proposed to address recurring issues with murky water.
“This is a matter that requires systematic review and foresight, because it involves several agencies,” Ko said.
The Nanshih River, which converges with the Sindian River (新店溪) before reaching the city’s Zhitan (直潭), Changsin (長興) and Gongguang (公館) water purification plants, is the source of turbid tap water seen in the Greater Taipei area following Typhoon Soudelor early this month.
The Taipei City Government attributed the problem to poor soil and water conservation efforts upstream, which resulted in mudslides and reportedly rendered water processing equipment useless.
Department head Chen Chin-hsiang (陳錦祥) said he plans to compile data on water turbidity levels in the Nanshih River over the past decade and submit a report to the Executive Yuan for reference.
Asked if the problem would change his stance on the construction of a planned Taipei-Yilan railway project, Ko said: “My stance has been clear from the start: Issues of environmental protection must be resolved before anything else.”
Ko previously espoused building the railway using the shortest route of 36.3km, which would connect Taipei’s Nangang District (南港) and Yilan County’s Toucheng Township (頭城) and would cut through parts of New Taipei City’s Pinglin (坪林) and Shihding (石碇) districts, both of which are in the reservoir’s catchment area.
The city’s Department of Transportation said that it would publish results of an ongoing analysis on the relationship between the railway project and raw water turbidity in the Nanshih River after the Ministry of Transportation releases data.
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: