The Tourism Bureau yesterday said that having a sex-themed park built in Yunlin County was “just an idea,” adding that it still needs to discuss the proposal with county government officials.
The idea, proposed by the Southwest National Scenic Area Administration, generated heated discussion online after details of the plan were posted on the administration’s Web site on Monday night.
Based on the description, the administration said it wanted to establish a “romantic boulevard” in central and southern Taiwan, with one of the tourist attractions to be a park called the “Garden of Eden.”
The administration said that the park would have sculptures based on sexual organs, as well as of couples in various sexual positions, adding that it would be built near the Hukou Wetlands, Yiwu Farm and other tourist attractions.
The park would be designed to deliver a visual punch, like the Jeju Loveland park in South Korea, the administration said.
In response, some netizens said the Web site must have been hacked, while others said the idea was “way out of line.”
Southwest National Scenic Area Administration Director Cheng Rong-fong (鄭榮峰) confirmed that there is a proposal for the park.
However, the idea still needs to be discussed with Yunlin’s county commissioner and deputy county commissioners.
It was inappropriate for staff to have made public an idea that has yet to be finalized, Cheng added.
He had the content removed on Monday night.
Yunlin Deputy County Commissioner Chang Huang-chen (張皇珍) said the proposal was aired way ahead of time, adding that people in Yunlin live a simple life in general and would probably not like the idea.
Chang said that the administration should conduct more evaluations before suggesting ideas to avoid having a negative influence on the community.
The Tourism Bureau issued a statement saying that the proposal has been removed from the administration’s Web site.
The bureau said that the online description of the proposal contained excessively bold statements that have confused and misled visitors to the Web site, adding that it would seek opinions from all parties on the matter.
‘CROCODILE TEARS’: The Taiwan Statebuilding Party said the Kaohsiung mayor was only apologizing after a poll revealed that 45% of the city’s residents favored a recall Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) at a city council session yesterday apologized for taking three months off last year to campaign for January’s presidential election. Han said that he was now prioritizing municipal affairs and was focused primarily on preventing the spread of COVID-19. He was “doing two days’ work each day” to make up for time lost, he said. Han on May 5 attended a city council session for the first time in 201 days, giving a report on pandemic response measures. At yesterday’s session, Han said the Kaohsiung City Government would be injecting NT$50 million (US$1.67 million) into the
Taipei City Councilor Wu Pei-yi (吳沛憶) on Saturday urged the Taipei Department of Cultural Affairs to designate the Japanese colonial-era Showa Building (昭和樓) a cultural heritage site to protect it from being demolished. Wu made the remarks after the department on Tuesday last week visited the building to evaluate it for preservation, a standard procedure before a public building that is more than 50 years old is razed. The Showa Building, on Zhongxiao E Road Sec 2, was a rare kind of office building when it was constructed in 1942, Wu said. The three-story building was built with reinforced concrete and has European-style
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to