Taiwanese pitcher Wang Chien-ming (王建民) yesterday said he hoped to return to Major League Baseball (MLB) next year, but added that he has no problem being a relief pitcher at his new minor league team.
The 34-year-old former MLB starting pitcher signed a minor league contract with the Atlanta Braves last week.
Prior to joining the Braves, Wang spent the past season at the Chicago White Sox’s Triple-A team. He was in the starting lineup in 28 games and pitched a 4.12 ERA in 172-2/3 innings without sustaining any injuries.
Photo: Lin Cheng-king, Taipei Times
Yet despite his performance, Wang did not get called up to the major leagues.
“The most difficult part was waiting for the opportunity to come. I was not feeling particularly down [about not being called up]. I just wanted to fulfill my dream, but it is not like you can just go [to the MLB] if you want to. You have to keep working hard for that opportunity,” Wang told a news conference in Taipei yesterday.
Though the opportunity that Wang was looking for did not come this year, the pitcher said he never thought of playing in the professional leagues in Taiwan or Japan instead.
“I believe I am on my way from the minor leagues to the majors,” he said.
Throughout the news conference, Wang reiterated his hope of returning to the MLB in perfect condition next year.
Last year, Wang said he would give himself two more years in the US to make it back into the majors, meaning that next year would be the Tainan native’s last chance for a potential comeback.
Also yesterday, the Braves acquired 24-year-old pitcher Shelby Miller in a trade with the St Louis Cardinals. Many interpreted the swap as bad news for Wang, saying Miller would make it more difficult for him to be listed on the starting pitchers roster.
In response, Wang said he had no problem adjusting to the role of relief pitcher.
Taiwan might be China’s next target after it has “walled off” Hong Kong from the rest of the world with its new national security legislation, Academia Sinica Institute of Sociology fellow Wu Jieh-min (吳介民) said on Thursday. At a seminar organized by the Economic Democracy Union, the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, the Hong Kong Outlanders and the Judicial Reform Foundation, Wu said that the legislation is simultaneously a fig leaf concealing Beijing’s autocratic rule in Hong Kong and a figurative “Berlin Wall,” denying democratic countries access to Hong Kong. Wu said it is evident that Taiwan would be China’s next target. The
YOUNGEST PATIENT: Cases of botulism have been only sporadically reported over the past few years, with two in 2015, six in 2016 and none in the past three years The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the nation’s first case of infant botulism this year, a four-month-old boy in northern Taiwan, as well as five new cases of Japanese encephalitis confirmed last week. The boy was introduced to homemade solid food in the middle of last month, but began to experience constipation and loss of appetite on June 23, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Deputy Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said, adding that he was taken to the hospital when he developed a fever and shortness of breath on June 25. In the hospital, the boy also experienced a rapid heartbeat, limb
SAFETY CONCERNS: A construction company working nearby admitted to negligence in the incident, and is to pay a fine and other expenses related to damages Residents of homes adjacent to an alleyway in New Taipei City’s Yonghe District (永和) on Saturday were forced to evacuate their homes after the road collapsed, the New Taipei City government said yesterday. An 80m by 4m area in an alleyway on Wenhua Road (文化路) collapsed at 10:39am near an apartment building construction site where work was being done on the project’s foundation. The incident also ruptured an underground gas pipe and tilted several buildings in the area. Residents would not be able to return to their homes until tomorrow or Wednesday, when repairs are expected to be finished, the city government said. Workers
CHALLENGER DEEP: Lin Ying-Tsong was invited by Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo to join him on a 10-hour long trip in the company’s submersible Taiwanese-American Lin Ying-Tsong (林穎聰) last month became the first person from Asia and the 12th in human history to dive into the deepest part on Earth, the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. Lin, 45, an expert in deep sea acoustics with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) in Massachusetts, joined US adventurer and Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo, 54, on June 22 in a descent to the central pool of the Challenger Deep, the deepest point of the trench, which lies at a depth of more than 10,900m. The pair made the descent in a submersible named Limiting Factor, a US$37