The Executive Yuan said yesterday that it would not be appropriate for it to receive NT$3 billion (US$97.6 million) that Ting Hsin International Group (頂新國際集團) has proposed to donate for the establishment of a food safety committee, calling on the corporation to prioritize the protection of the rights of its midstream and downstream food manufacturers.
Ting Hsin announced on Oct. 16 that it would donate NT$3 billion to fund a food safety committee, but Executive Yuan spokesperson Sun Lih-chyun (孫立群) said that the Cabinet has not been contacted by anyone about the money and that it would also be inappropriate for the government to accept it.
Sun added that Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) made it clear during a recent question-and-answer session at the legislature that the investigation into the corporation would not be affected by its donation plan, and that there is no equivalent exchange relationship between the proposed NT$3 billion donation and the amount of its unjust earnings, compensation to the affected manufacturers or a possible response to a potential collective lawsuit filed by consumer groups.
Sun said that because the investigation into Ting-Hsin’s alleged oil adulteration is ongoing, it would not be appropriate for the government to accept such a donation, “lest any unnecessary controversy be sparked.”
Meanwhile, the Executive Yuan also announced that NT$1 billion of the central government’s tax revenue would be distributed annually to reward local governments that effectively investigate and punishing manufacturers over breaching food safety regulations.
Those that have failed to “perform well” in that task might be subject to a reduction of project-oriented monetary aid from the central government, Sun said.
The Executive Yuan is currently mulling the proposed reward and punishment system, Sun said.
Sun said the Executive Yuan made the decision in order to “show the public the government’s determination in tackling food safety problems.”
The measures would help to “avoid the happenings [in recent food scandals] in which local governments failed to react to tip-offs from members of the public regarding food manufacturers that have been flaunting the government’s food safety regulations,” the Executive Yuan spokesperson said.
Taiwan might be China’s next target after it has “walled off” Hong Kong from the rest of the world with its new national security legislation, Academia Sinica Institute of Sociology fellow Wu Jieh-min (吳介民) said on Thursday. At a seminar organized by the Economic Democracy Union, the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, the Hong Kong Outlanders and the Judicial Reform Foundation, Wu said that the legislation is simultaneously a fig leaf concealing Beijing’s autocratic rule in Hong Kong and a figurative “Berlin Wall,” denying democratic countries access to Hong Kong. Wu said it is evident that Taiwan would be China’s next target. The
YOUNGEST PATIENT: Cases of botulism have been only sporadically reported over the past few years, with two in 2015, six in 2016 and none in the past three years The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the nation’s first case of infant botulism this year, a four-month-old boy in northern Taiwan, as well as five new cases of Japanese encephalitis confirmed last week. The boy was introduced to homemade solid food in the middle of last month, but began to experience constipation and loss of appetite on June 23, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Deputy Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said, adding that he was taken to the hospital when he developed a fever and shortness of breath on June 25. In the hospital, the boy also experienced a rapid heartbeat, limb
The National Taiwan Museum’s Railway Department Park in Taipei is to open to the public today. The park in Datong District (大同) near the North Gate (北門, Beimen) is one of the museum’s four branches. During the Japanese colonial era, the site housed the railway department of the Office of the Governor-General of Taiwan’s Bureau of Transportation. After World War II, it served as the headquarters for the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) for several decades. In 2007, it was listed as a national monument under the Cultural Heritage Preservation Act (文化資產保存法). At an opening ceremony yesterday, Minister of Transportation and Communications Lin Chia-lung
CHALLENGER DEEP: Lin Ying-Tsong was invited by Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo to join him on a 10-hour long trip in the company’s submersible Taiwanese-American Lin Ying-Tsong (林穎聰) last month became the first person from Asia and the 12th in human history to dive into the deepest part on Earth, the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. Lin, 45, an expert in deep sea acoustics with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) in Massachusetts, joined US adventurer and Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo, 54, on June 22 in a descent to the central pool of the Challenger Deep, the deepest point of the trench, which lies at a depth of more than 10,900m. The pair made the descent in a submersible named Limiting Factor, a US$37