Opponents of land expropriation for the Taoyuan Aerotropolis project yesterday said they would seek legal action against what they perceive as a deal worked out in an “opaque and ruthless manner.”
The project, which requires the expropriation of about 3,200 hectares near Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, received the green light from the Ministry of the Interior (MOI) on Tuesday.
Except for the airport zone that is to be developed by the Ministry of Transportation and Communications, the area to be developed by the Taoyuan County Government must be divided into sections to be developed in different stages.
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
Opponents said that the project had previously excluded Sankuaitso Village (三塊厝), which contains a massive amount of farmland, from being expropriated, but the review committee later decided to include it.
Residents of Hongchu (宏竹) and Luchu (蘆竹) villages were also upset that their properties, which contain a lot of farmland, are to be seized as well.
“This is the most shameless chapter in urban planning review history,” said Thomas Chan (詹順貴), a lawyer with the Environment Jurists Association. “Judging from all the review meetings, we only see that the properties are to be developed to inflate their market value. There is no sign of professional urban planning.”
The government cannot develop farmland unless it is absolutely necessary, Chan said.
Excluding Sankuaitso, or “land of two rivers,” from the area to be expropriated would not affect the operation of the Taoyuan Aerotropolis, he said.
“The government claims that 90 percent of the residents in this area agreed to the land development deal, but are they residents or real-estate developers,” Chan said.
Taiwan Association for Human Rights executive secretary Wang Pao-hsuan (王寶萱) said the Constitution protects the public’s right to own property and questioned if the government can demolish homes by securing the consent of 90 percent of the residents in a neighborhood.
Wang accused Taoyuan County Government officials of making false promises to residents.
First they said that they would fully respect the opinions of those who did not want their land expropriated, but later, they said the property was needed, Wang said.
A resident surnamed Chang (張) said that she was tormented because the government insisted on expropriating her house, even though it was difficult for a woman to keep a home on her own.
Hongchu Village resident Lu Li-chin (呂理欽) said that the government claimed that the development project would create jobs and raise the nation’s GDP.
“To farmers, these numbers are just ideals beyond their reach. They just want a place they can stay for the rest of their lives,” Lu said.
A video allegedly featuring retired general Kao An-kuo (高安國) calling on Taiwanese military officers to surrender to China and overthrow the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) government has sparked outrage and calls for him to be charged with treason. The video, titled “A message to Taiwanese military officers,” allegedly shows Kao saying: “I call on commanding officers of our military troops to stand up for Chinese nationalism, to take up this duty under heaven’s mandate to save Taiwanese from oppression and terrible suffering.” Dressed in military fatigues and a beret, the lieutenant general called on officers to overthrow the “fraudulent DPP regime,”
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday rejected the claim Beijing has been making about Taiwan’s status, while thanking US Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman for raising concerns about Taiwan during her meeting with Chinese officials. Sherman met with Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) on a visit to Tianjin on Sunday and Monday, with Wang urging Washington not to infringe on China’s sovereignty and territorial integrity. Taiwan is part of China, a fundamental fact that would never change, and China has the right to take any action needed to restrain Taiwanese independence, Wang said, urging Washington to abide
HASTY REVIEW CLAIMS: Medigen’s vaccine, which is to start phase 3 clinical trials later this year, should not have received emergency use authorization, Hau said Former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) vice chairman Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) is to appeal the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) authorization of Medigen Vaccine Biologics’ COVID-19 vaccine, he said yesterday. The administration on July 19 granted Medigen emergency use authorization, even though the drugmaker had not yet completed phase 3 clinical trials. The government should not authorize the use of a vaccine that has not completed phase 3 trials, Hau said in Taipei on the sidelines of an event to distribute boxed meals with former president Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and Broadcasting Corp of China chairman Jaw Shaw-kong (趙少康). Hau said the government had politicized
ELDERLY AT RISK: Centers for Disease Control Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang said 90 percent of those who died in a local outbreak were aged 60 or older Taiwan won plaudits for its successful containment of COVID-19 last year, which made its recent virus resurgence all the more surprising. Data show that it was unusually deadly, as well. While Taiwan has seen fewer than 800 COVID-19 deaths in total, 500 of them occurred last month alone, amid its biggest virus wave to date. The pathogen got through the stringent border curbs that had kept local infections at bay for most of last year, seeding an outbreak that tore through the then-largely unvaccinated elderly population. This pushed the case-fatality ratio to as high as that seen in Italy and the UK